Sunday 12 August 2018

STRUCTURE AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION SKILL 43: DISTINGUISH SUBJECT AND OBJECT PRONOUNS


LONGMAN COMPLETE COURSE FOR THE TOEFL TEST
STRUCTURE AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION

SKILL 43: DISTINGUISH SUBJECT AND OBJECT PRONOUNS

Subject and object pronoun can be confused on the TOEFL test, so you should be able to recognize these two types of pronouns.
SUBJECT
OBJECT
I
you
he
she
it
we
they
me
you
him
her
it
us
them

A subject pronoun is used as the subject of a verb. An object pronoun can be used as the object of a verb or the object of a preposition. Compare the following two sentences.
In the second sentence the subject pronoun she is replacing the noun Sally. The object of the verb it is replacing the noun book, and the object of the preposition him is replacing the noun John.
The following are examples of the types of subject or object pronoun errors that you might see on the TOEFL test.
Him* and the girl are going shopping should be He and the girl are going shopping
The gift was intended for you and I*should be The gift was intended for you and me

EXERCISE 43: Each of the following sentences contains at least one subject or object pronoun. Circle the pronouns. Then indicate if the sentences are correct (C) or incorrect (I).

 
……………
3
Perhaps you would like to go to the seminar with they and their friends.
……………
4
The mother took her son to the doctor’s office because he was feeling sick.
……………
5
I did not know that you and her were working together on the project.
……………
6
She did not buy the sweater because it had a small hole on it.
……………
7
The man leading the seminar gave me all the information I needed to make a decision.
……………
8
The cords connecting the computer to its printer need to be replaced before them wear down.
……………
9
He is going to the party with you and me if you do not mind.
……………
10
You and her ought to return the books to the library because they are already overdue.


ANSWER KEY
1
C

2
I
(I should be me)
3
I
(they should be them)
4
C

5
I
(her should be she)
6
C

7
C

8
I
(them should be they)
9
C

10
I
(her should be she)


4 comments:

  1. thankyou my english is good now because this blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome and wish this blog is beneficial for others too

      Delete

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments