Monday 20 August 2018

STRUCTURE AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION SKILL 49: RECOGNIZE –LY ADJECTIVES


LONGMAN COMPLETE COURSE FOR THE TOEFL TEST
STRUCTURE AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION

SKILL 49: RECOGNIZE –LY ADJECTIVES

Generally when a word ends in –ly in English, it is an adverb. However, there are a few words ending in –ly that are adjectives, and these –ly adjectives can cause confusion in written expression questions on the TOEFL test.
The manager turned in his weekly report.
This example is correct, but appears to be incorrect; it appears that there is an –ly adverb in front of the noun report.

The following chart lists common –ly adjectives that can appear in English:
EXERCISE 49: Each of the following sentences contains at least one adjective or adverb ending in -ly. Circle the –ly words, and label them as either adjectives or adverbs. Draw arrows to the words they describe. Then indicate if the sentences are correct (C) or incorrect (I).

 
……………
3
Do you want to go to the early movie or the lately movie?
……………
4
She offered me some friendly advice about how to deal with the terribly problem.
……………
5
The quarterly reports need to be turned in at the next weekly meeting.
……………
6
He did not have a manly reaction to he negatively comments.
……………
7
The likely outcome of the purchase of the costly car is that he will not be able to pay his monthly bills.
……………
8
The days she spent at the beach house were lonely and solitarily.
……………
9
She takes her daily medication on a regularly schedule.
……………
10
The kindly neighbour paid hourly visits to her unhealthily friend.


ANSWER KEY
1
C

2
I
(seasonally should be seasonal)
3
I
(lately should be late)
4
I
(terribly should be terrible)
5
C

6
I
(negatively should be negative)
7
C

8
I
(solitarily should be solitary)
9
I
(regularly should be regular)
10
I
(unhealthily should be imhealthy)


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments