Saturday 4 January 2020

48. Reported Speech 2 ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
48. Reported Speech 2

A
It is not always necessary to change the verb in reported speech. If the situation is still the same, you do not need to change the verb to the past. For example:
direct reported
Paul said 'My new job is boring.'
Paul said that his new job is boring.
(The situation is still the same. His job is still boring now.)
direct reported
Helen said 'I want to go to Canada next year.'
Helen told me that she wants to go to Canada next year.
(Helen still wants to go to Canada next year.)
You can also change the verb to the past:
·         Paul said that his new job was boring.
·         Helen told me that she wanted to go to Canada next year.

But if the situation has changed or finished, you must use a past verb:
·         Paul left the room suddenly. He said he had to go. (not has to go)
B
You need to use a past form when there is a difference between what was said and what is really true.

For example:
You met Sonia a few days ago.
She said: Joe is in hospital.

Later that day you meet Joe in the street. You say:
Hi, Joe. I didn't expect to see you. Sonia said you were in hospital.
(not 'Sonia said you are in hospital', because dearly he is not)
C
Say and tell

If you say who somebody is talking to, use tell:
·         Sonia told me that you were in hospital. (not Sonia said me)
·         What did you tell the police? (not say the police)

Otherwise use say:
·         Sonia said that you were in hospital. (not Sonia told that ...)
·         What did you say?

But you can 'say something to somebody': 
·         Ann said goodbye to me and left. (not Ann said me goodbye)
·         What did you say to the police?
D
Tell/ask somebody to do something

We also use the infinitive (to do /to be etc.) in reported speech, especially with tell and ask (for orders and requests):

direct reported
'Drink plenty of water,' the doctor said to me.
The doctor told me to drink plenty of water.
direct reported
'Don't be late,' I said to Joe.
I told Joe not to be late.
direct reported
'Can you help me, please,' Jackie said to me.
Jackie asked me to help her
You can also say 'Somebody said (not) to do something':
·         Paul said not to worry about him. (but not Paul said me)


EXERCISES
48.1
Here are some things that Sarah said to you:

But later Sarah says something different to you. What do you say?


Sarah

You
1
Dave works very hard.

But you said he was lazy. _________________
2
Let's have fish for dinner.

But ___________________________________________
3
I'm going to buy a car.

___________________________________________
4
Jane is always short of money.

___________________________________________
5
My sister lives in Paris.

___________________________________________
6
I think New York is a great place.

___________________________________________
7
Let's go out tomorrow evening.

___________________________________________
8
I've never spoken to Jane.

___________________________________________
48.2
Complete the sentences with say or tell (in the correct form). Use only one word each time.

1
Ann ____ said _____ goodbye to me and left.
2
____________ us about your holiday. Did you have a nice time?
3
Don’t just stand there! ___________ something!
4
I wonder where Sue is. She __________ she would be here at 8 o'clock.
5
Dan _______ me that he was bored with his job.
6
The doctor ___________ that I should rest for at least a week.
7
Don't _________ anybody what I ___________ it's a secret just between us.
8
'Did she ________ you what happened?' 'No, she didn't __________ anything to me.'
9
Gary couldn't help me. He ____________ me to ask Chris.
10
Gary couldn't help me. He _______________ to ask Chris.
48.3
The following sentences are direct speech:



Now choose one of these to complete each of the sentences below. Use reported speech.
1
Don’t wait for me if I am late.
Will was taking a long time to get ready, so I __told him to hurry up __________
2
Mind your own business.
Sarah was driving too fast, so I asked ______________
3
Don’t worry, Sue.
Sue was nervous about the situation. I told______________
4
Please slow down!
I couldn't move the piano alone, so I ______________
5
Can you open your bag, please?
The security guard looked at me suspiciously and ______________
6
Could you get me a paper?
Tom was going to the shop, so I ______________
7
Hurry up
The man started asking me personal questions, so I______________
8
Will you marry me?
John was in love with Marianne, so he______________
9
Do you think you could give me a hand, Tom?
I didn't want to delay Helen, so I______________

ANSWER KEY

48.1
2 But you said you didn't like fish.
3 But you said you couldn't drive.
4 But you said she had a very well-paid job.
5 But you said you didn't have any brothers or sisters.
6 But you said you'd I you had never been to the United States.
7 But you said you were working tomorrow evening.
8 But you said she was a friend of yours.

48.2
2 Tell 
3 Say
4 said
5 told
6 said
7 tell .. . said
8 tell ... say
9 told
10 said

48.3
2 her to slow down
3 her not to worry
4 asked Tom to give me a hand or ... to help me
5 asked me to open my bag
6 asked him to get (me) a paper
7 told him to mind his own business
8 asked her to marry him
9 told her not to wait (for me) if I was late

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments