Wednesday 8 January 2020

62. Verb + preposition + -ing (succeed in –ing/ accuse somebody of –ing etc.) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
62. Verb + preposition + -ing (succeed in –ing/ accuse somebody of –ing etc.)

A
Many verbs have the structure verb+ preposition (in/for/about etc.) +object.
For example:

verb
preposition
+ object
we talked
you must apologise
about
for
the problem.
what you said.

If the object is another verb, it ends in -ing:
verb
preposition
+ object
we talked
you must apologise
about
for
going to South America.
not telling the truth.

Some more verbs with this structure:
approve (of)
decide (against)
dream (of)
feel (like)
insist (on)
look forward (to)
succeed (in)
think (of/about)
He doesn’t approve
We have decided
I wouldn’t dream
Do you feel
They insisted
I’m looking forward
Have you succeeded
I’m thinking
of
against
of
like
on
to
in
of/about
swearing.
moving to London .
asking them for money.
going out tonight?
paying for the meal.
meeting her.
finding a job yet?
buying a house.

You can also say 'approve of somebody doing something', 'look forward to somebody doing something' etc. :
·         I don't approve of people killing animals for fun.
·         We are all looking forward to Andy coming home.
B
The following verbs can have the structure verb+ object+ preposition+ -ing:

verb+
+object
preposition
+ing (object)
accuse (of)
congratulate (on)
excuse (for)
prevent (from)
stop (from)
suspect (of)
thank (for)
They accused
We all congratulated
Excuse
What prevented
The rain didn’t stop
Nobody suspected
I forgot to thank
us
Lisa
me
you
us
the general
them
of
on
for
from
from
of
for
telling lies.
winning the first prize.
phoning you so late.
coming to see us?
enjoying our holiday.
being a spy.
helping me.

You can say 'stop somebody doing' or 'stop somebody from doing':
·         You can't stop me doing what I want.    or     You can't stop me from doing what I want.

The following examples are with not -ing:
·         They accused us of not telling the truth.
·         Excuse me for not replying to your email until now.

Some of these verbs are often used in the passive. For example:
·         We were accused of telling lies.
·         The general was suspected of being a spy.

Note that we say 'apologise to somebody for ... ':
I apologised to them for keeping them waiting. (not I apologised them)

EXERCISES
62.1
Complete each sentence using only one word.

1
Our neighbours apologised for ___making ____  so much noise.
2
I feel lazy. I don't feel like __________ any work.
3
I wanted to go out alone, but Joe insisted on __________ with me.
4
Where are you thinking of __________ your holiday this year?
5
We have decided against__________ a car because we can't really afford it.
6
It's good Dan and Amy are coming to stay with us. I'm looking forward to __________ them again.
7
Some parents don't approve of their children __________ a lot of TV.
8
It took us a long time, but we finally succeeded in __________ the problem.
9
I've always dreamed of __________ a small house by the sea
62.2
Complete each sentence using a preposition+ one of the following verbs (in the correct form):
be
cause
do
eat
escape
go
interrupt
invite
tell
use
walk
wear

1
Do you feel ____like going_____ out this evening?
2
The driver of the other car accused me ______________ the accident.
3
There's a fence around the lawn to stop people ______________ on the grass.
4
Excuse me ______________ you, but may I ask you something?
5
The man who has been arrested is suspected ______________ a false passport.
6
I'm fed up with my job. I'm thinking ______________ something else.
7
The guards weren't able to prevent the prisoner ______________.
8
I didn't want to hear the story, but Dan insisted ______________me.
9
I'm getting hungry. I'm really looking forward ______________something.
10
I think you should apologise to Sue ______________so rude to her.
11
I'm sorry I can't come to your party, but thank you very much ______________me.
12
The police stopped the car because they suspected the driver ______________not ______________ a seat belt.
62.3
Complete the sentences on the right.

1
Kevin thanked ___ me for helping him.______


2
Tom insisted _______ Ann _______.



3
Dan congratulated me ________________________


4
Jenny thanked ____________________________


5
Kate apologised ___________________________


6
Jane accused ____________________________

ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments