Friday 10 January 2020

70. Countable and Uncountable 2 ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


                    ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
70. Countable and Uncountable 2

A
Many nouns can be used as countable or uncountable nouns, usually with a difference in meaning.
Compare:
Countable
Uncountable
·         Did you hear a noise just now? (=a specific noise)
·         I bought a paper to read. (=a newspaper)
·         There's a hair in my soup! (=one single hair)
·         You can stay with us. There's a spare room. (=a room in a house)
·         I had some interesting experiences while I was travelling. (=things that happened to me)
·         Enjoy your trip. Have a good time!
·         I can't work here. There's too much noise. (=noise in general)
·         I need some paper to write on. (=material for writing on)
·         You've got very long hair. (not hairs) (=all the hair on your head)
·         You can't sit here. There isn't room. (=space)
·         They offered me the job because I had a lot of experience. (not experiences)
·         I can't wait. I don't have time.

Coffee/tea/juice/beer etc. (drinks) are normally uncountable:
·         I don't like coffee very much.

But you can say a coffee(= a cup of coffee), two coffees (=two cups) etc. :
·         Two coffees and an orange juice, please.
B
The following nouns are usually uncountable:

accommodation
behaviour
damage
luck
permission
traffic
advice
bread
furniture
luggage
progress
weather
baggage
chaos
information
news
scenery
work

You cannot use a/an with these nouns:
·         I'm going to buy some bread.           Or              ... a loaf of bread. (not a bread)
·         Enjoy your holiday! I hope you have good weather. (not a good weather)

These nouns are not usually plural (so we do not say ‘breads', 'furnitures' etc.):
·         Where are you going to put all your furniture? (not furnitures)
·         Let me know if you need more information. (not informations)

News is uncountable, not plural:
·         The news was very depressing. (not The news were)

Travel (noun) means ~travelling in general' (uncountable). We do not say ‘a travel' to mean a trip or a journey:
·         They spend a lot of money on travel.
·         We had a very good trip/journey. (not a good travel)

Compare these countable and uncountable nouns:
Countable
Uncountable
·         I'm looking for a job.
·         What a beautiful view!
·         it's a nice day today.
·         We had a lot of bags and cases.
·         These chairs are mine.
·         That's a good suggestion.
·         I'm looking for work. (not a work)
·         What beautiful scenery!
·         It's nice weather today.
·         We had a lot of baggage/luggage.
·         This furniture is mine.
·         That's good advice.

EXERCISES
70.1
Which of the underlined parts of these sentences is correct?
1
'Did you hear noise /a noise just now?' 'No, I didn't hear anything.' (a noise is correct)
2
a.        If you want to know the news, you can read paper /a paper.
b.       I want to print some documents, but the printer is out of paper /papers.
3
a.        Light /A light comes from the sun.
b.       I thought there was somebody in the house because there was light /a light on inside.
4
a.        I was in a hurry this morning. I didn't have time /a time for breakfast.
b.       'Did you have a good holiday?' 'Yes, we had wonderful time /a wonderful time.'
5
This is nice room /a nice room. Did you decorate it yourself?
6
Sue was very helpful. She gave us some very useful advice /advices.
7
Did you have nice weather /a nice weather when you were away?
8
We were very unfortunate. We had bad luck /a bad luck.
9
Is it difficult to find a work /job at the moment?
10
Our travel /journey from Paris to Moscow by train was very tiring.
11
When the fire alarm rang, there was total chaos /a total chaos.
12
I had to buy a bread /some bread because I wanted to make some sandwiches.
13
Bad news don't /doesn't make people happy.
14
Your hair is /Your hairs are too long. You should have it I them cut.
15
The damage /The damages caused by the storm will cost a lot to repair.
70.2
Complete the sentences using the following words. Use the plural (-s) where necessary.

advice
chair
experience
experience
furniture
hair
information
job
luggage
permission
progress
work

1
I didn't have much ____ luggage____ just two small bags.
2
They'll tell you all you want to know. They'll give you plenty of ___________
3
There is room for everybody to sit down. There are plenty of ___________
4
We have no ___________, not even a bed or a table.
5
'What does Alan look like?' 'He's got a long beard and very short ___________
6
Carla's English is better than it was. She's made ___________
7
Mike is unemployed. He can't get a ___________
8
Mike is unemployed. He can't get ___________
9
If you want to leave early, you have to ask for ___________
10
I didn't know what to do. So I asked Chris for ___________
11
I don't think Dan should get the job. He doesn't have enough ___________
12
Nicola has done many interesting things. She could write a book about her ___________
70.3
What do you say in these situations? Use a word from Section B (luggage, weather etc.) in each sentence.

1
Your friends have just arrived at the station. You can't see any cases or bags.
You ask them: ____ Do you have any luggage________?
2
You go into the tourist office. You want to know about places to see in the town.
You say: I'd like ______________________________________.
3
You are a student. You want your teacher to advise you about which courses to do.
You say: Can you give me ______________________________________?
4
You want to watch the news on TV, but you don't know when it is on.
You ask your friend: What time ______________________________________?
5
You are at the top of a mountain. You can see a very long way. It's beautiful.
You say: It ______________________________________, isn’t it?
6
You look out of the window. The weather is horrible: cold, wet and windy.
You say: What ______________________________________!

ANSWER KEY

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments