Saturday 20 April 2019

1. PRESENT SIMPLE (I do)


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
1. PRESENT SIMPLE (I do)

A
Study this example situation:
 
Alex is a bus driver, but now he is in bed asleep.
He is not driving a bus. (He is asleep.)

but He drives a bus. (He is a bus driver.)
Drive(s)/work(s)/do(es) etc. is the present simple:

i/ we/ you/ they
drive/work/do etc
he/ she/it
drives/ works/ does etc
B
We use the present simple to talk about things in general. We use it to say that something happens all the time or repeatedly/ or that something is true in general:

Nurses Look after patients in hospitals.
I usually go away at weekends.
The earth goes round the sun.
The cafe opens at 7.30 in the morning.

Remember:
I work ... but He works ... They teach .. . but My sister teaches .
C
We use do/does to make questions and negative sentences:

do
does
I/we/you/they
he/she/it
work?
drive?
do?

I/we/you/they
he/she/it
don’t
doesn’t
work
drive
do

I come from Canada. Where do you come from ?
I don't go away very often.
What does this word mean? (not What means this word?)
Rice doesn't grow in cold climates.

In the following examples, do is also the main verb (do you do I doesn,t do etc.):

'What do you do?' 'I work in a shop.'
He's always so lazy. He doesn't do anything to help.
D
We use the present simple to say how often we do things:

I get up at 8 o'clock every morning.
How often do you go to the dentist?
julie doesn't drink tea very often.
Robert usually goes away two or three times a year.
E
I promise /I apologise etc.

Sometimes we do things by saying something. For example, when you promise to do something,
you can say 'I promise ... '; when you suggest something, you can say 'I suggest ... ':

I promise I won't be late. (not I'm promising)
'What do you suggest I do?' 'I suggest that you ... '

In the same way we say: I apologise .. . /I advise ... /I insist ... /I agree ... /I refuse ... etc.

EXERCISES

2.1
Complete the sentences using the following verbs:

cause(s)        connect(s)        drink(s)        Live(s)       open(s)          speak(s)             take(s)

1
Tanya ___speaks___ German very well.
2
I don't often  ________ coffee.
3
The swimming pool ____________ at 7.30 every morning.
4
Bad driving _____________  many accidents.
5
My parents _________ in a very small flat.
6
The Olympic Games ____________place every four years.
7
The Panama Canal ________________ the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
2.2
Put the verb into the correct form.

1
Julie ____doesn’t drink ______ (not I drink) tea very often.
2
What time _________________ (the banks I dose) here?
3
I've got a car, but I _________________ (not I use) it much.
4
'Where _________________ (Ricardo I come) from?' 'From Cuba.'
5
'What _________________ (you I do)?' Tm an electrician.'
6
lt _________________ (take) me an hour to get to work. How long _________________ (it I take) you?
7
Look at this sentence. What _________________ (this word I mean)?
8
David isn't very fit. He _________________ (not I do) any sport.
2.3
Use the following verbs to complete the sentences. Sometimes you need the negative:

believe     eat         flow        go       grow     make    rise     tell     translate

1
The earth ____goes____ round the sun.
2
Rice __ doesn’t grow ____in Britain.
3
The sun   _________ in the east.
4
Bees _________ honey.
5
Vegetarians _________ meat.
6
An atheist _________ in God.
7
An interpreter _________  from one language into another.
8
Liars are people who _________  the truth.
9
The River Amazon _________  into the Atlantic Ocean.
2.4
Complete the sentences using the following verbs:


1
You know that Lisa plays tennis. You want to know how often. Ask her.
How often _____ do you play tennis ___ ?
2
Perhaps Lisa's sister plays tennis too. You want to know. Ask Lisa.
____________ your sister ______________ ?
3
You know that Lisa reads a newspaper every day. You want to know which one. Ask her.
______________________________________?
4
You know that Lisa's brother works. You want to know what he does. Ask Lisa.
______________________________________?
5
You know that Lisa goes to the cinema a lot. You want to know how often. Ask her.
______________________________________?
6
You don't know where Lisa's grandparents live. You want to know. Ask Lisa.
______________________________________?
2.5
Complete using the following:

I apologise           I insist              I promise                I recommend                   I suggest

1
Mr Evans is not in the office today. ___ I suggest ______you  try calling him tomorrow.
2
I won't tell anybody what you said _____________________.
3
(in a restaurant) You must let me pay for the meal. ________________
4
___________________ for what I did. lt won't happen again.
5
The new restaurant in Hill Street is very good. ____________________________ it

ANSWER KEY

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments