Wednesday 10 April 2019

IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS FOR DESCRIBING CHARACTER AND PERSONALITY


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR PHRASAL VERBS AND IDIOMS
IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS FOR DESCRIBING CHARACTER AND PERSONALITY

There are several items of clothing hidden in the box below. You will find these by reading from left to right and from top to bottom. Use these items of clothing to complete the idioms and other expressions in bold in sentences 1 – 20. You will need to use some of the items more than once, and you may need to change the form from singular to plural or vice versa.

1
Kerry and Charlie work together well. In fact, they've always been hand in _____.
2
"I can't help you carry these boxes. I've got a bad back." "Oh don't be such a big girl's _____!"
3
Look, I'm sorry I lost your camera. Keep your _____ on. I'll buy you a new one, I promise.
4
Have you read Geoff Bowman's latest book? It's complete _____!
5
You've done really well. I take my _____ off to you.
6
Up until now the game has been quite friendly, but now the _____ are off!
7
My boyfriend would rather sit at home in front of the television than go to a pub or nightclub. I wish he wasn't such a / an _____!
8
Poor old Bob was given the _____ last week.
9
She told me that I was stupid and ugly, which I felt was a bit below the _____.
10
My teacher told me that unless I pulled my _____ up, he would have to move me down to a lower class.
11
I saw a film last night that scared the _____ off me!
12
Andy is so boring. Did you know that his idea of a perfect day is going to the station to collect train registration numbers? What a / an _____!
13
Clarice is 25 years old, but she's still tied to her mother's _____ strings.
14
My uncle works for a _____-and-dagger department in the government.
15
You're always complaining. Put a _____ in it!
16
I've heard a rumour that Andrew is going to leave the company and go to work for one of our competitors, but keep it under your _____.
17
My father used to pretend that he made all the major decisions in our family, but it was really my mother who wore the _____.
18
He's really generous. He would give you the _____ off his back.
19
I can't decide whether or not to resign. What would you do if you were in my _____?
20
Ever since his promotion, he's become too big for his _____.


ANSWER KEY


 



















No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments