Sunday 21 April 2019

5. PAST SIMPLE (I did)


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
5. PAST SIMPLE (I did)

A
Study this example:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was an Austrian musician and composer. He Lived from 1756 to 1791. He started composing at the age of five and wrote more than 600 pieces of music. He was only 35 years old when he died.

lived/started/ wrote/ was/died are all past simple.
B
Very often the past simple ends in -ed (regular verbs):

I work in a travel agency now. Before that I worked in a department store.
We invited them to our party, but they decided not to come.
The police stopped me on my way home last night.
Laura passed her exam because she studied very hard.

But many verbs are irregular. The past simple does not end in -ed. For example:
Mozart wrote more than 600 pieces of music.
We saw Tanya in town a few days ago.
I went to the cinema three times last week.
It was cold, so I shut the window.

C
In questions and negatives we use did/didn't+ infinitive (enjoy/see/go etc.):

I
she
they
enjoyed
saw
went

did
you
she
they
enjoy?
see?
go?

I
she
they
didn’t
enjoy
see
go

A: Did you go out last night?
B: Yes, I went to the cinema, but I didn't enjoy the film much.
'When did MrThomas die?' 'About ten years ago.'
They didn't invite us to the party, so we didn't go.
'Did you have time to do the shopping?' 'No, I didn't.'

In the following examples, do is the main verb in the sentence (did ... do I didn't do):
What did you do at the weekend? (not What did you at the weekend?)
I didn't do anything. (not I didn't anything)
D
The past of be (am/is/are) is was/were:

I/he/she/it
was/wasn’t

was
I/he/she/it?
we/you/they
were/weren’t

were
we/you/they?

Note that we do not use did in negatives and questions with was/were
I was angry because they were late.
Was the weather good when you were on holiday?
They weren't able to come because they were so busy.
Did you go out last night or were you too tired?

EXERCISES

5.1
 
Yesterday was a typical working day for Laura. Write what she did or didn't do yesterday.
1
She ___got up____ at 7 o’clock.
7
__________________ at 5 o’clock.
2
She __________________ a big breakfast.
8
__________________ tired when __________________ home.
3
She __________________.
9
__________________ a meal yesterday evening.
4
It __________________ to get to work.
10
__________________ out yesterday evening.
5
__________________ at 8.45.
11
__________________ at 11 o’clock.
6
__________________ lunch.
12
__________________ well last night.
5.2
Complete the sentences using the following verbs in the correct form.
buy         catch            cost        fall         hurt            sell           spend          teach        throw        ·write

1
Mozart __wrote___ more than 600 pieces of music.
2
'How did you learn to drive?' 'My father ________ me.'
3
We couldn't afford to keep our car, so we ________ it.
4
Dave ________ down the stairs this morning and ________ his leg.
5
joe ________ the ball to Sue, who ________ it.
6
Ann ________ a lot of money yesterday. She ________ a dress which  ________ £100.
5.3
You ask James about his holiday. Write your questions.

Hi. How are things?
_________ Fine, thanks. I've just had a great holiday.
1
Where ___ did you go ___?
To the U.S. We went on a trip from San Francisco to Denver.
2
How _______________________ ? By car?
_______________________  Yes, we hired a car in San Francisco.
3
It's a long way to drive. How long_______________________________ to get to Denver?
________________________ two weeks.
4
Where ________________ ? In hotels?
________________. Yes, small hotels or motels.
5
________________________ good?
________________________ Yes, but it was very hot - sometimes too hot.
6
______________ the Grand Canyon ?
______________ Of course. lt was wonderful.
5.4
Complete the sentences. Put the verb into the correct form, positive or negative.

1
It was warm, so I ____ took _____ off my coat. (take)
2
The film wasn't very good. I ___ didn’t enjoy _____ it much. (enjoy)
3
I knew Sarah was busy, so I __________________ her. (disturb)
4
We were very tired, so we _________________ the party early. (leave)
5
The bed was very uncomfortable. I _________________ well. (sleep)
6
The window was open and a bird _______________________ into the room. (fly)
7
The hotel wasn't very expensive. It _________________________ much to stay there. (cost)
8
I was in a hurry, so I _______________ time to phone you. (have)
9
It was hard carrying the bags. They ________________ very heavy. (be)

ANSWER KEY

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments