Sunday 14 April 2019

PHRASAL VERBS, IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS USING ‘GIVE’


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR PHRASAL VERBS AND IDIOMS
PHRASAL VERBS, IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS USING ‘GIVE’

Choose the word or words in bold to complete the phrasal verbs, idioms and other expressions in italics in these sentences. In one case, all options are possible. The meaning of each phrasal verb, idiom, etc, in its given context is in italics at the end of each sentence.

1
I've finally managed to give off / out / up / in smoking. (to stop doing something you do regularly)
2
Ten thousand copies of the latest software package are being given away / over / in / back. (to let someone have something without paying for it)
3
Have I done something to upset Anne? She's been giving me the cold face / shoulder / elbow / finger all morning. (to be unfriendly towards someone you know)
4
She's been looking for me all morning, but I've managed to give her the trip / slip / slide / skid. (to escape from someone who is looking for you)
5
Most of Janet's teachers have given up on / in to / over to / back to her. (to stop hoping that someone will improve and to stop trying to help or change them)
6
"You're one of the most beautiful girls I've ever met!" "Oh, give off / over / out / away!" (an informal spoken expression used for telling someone to stop doing something. In this case, the second speaker wants the first speaker to stop flattering her)
7
You promised not to give up / in / off / away my secret! (to tell information or facts that you should keep secret)
8
I knew she was lying. Her face was a dead giveback / giveoff / giveaway / giveout! (a movement, action or expression on someone's face that shows the truth about something)
9
The photocopier is giving away / off / over / up a funny smell. (to produce something such as heat or a smell)
10
If the boss shouts at me again in front of a customer, I'm going to give him a piece of my mouth / mind / brain / heart. (to tell someone exactly what you think, especially when you are angry with them)
11
I would give my right arm / the world / my eye teeth / anything to see his face right now! (a spoken expression used for saying that you would very much like to have something)
12
I wouldn't argue with Robin, if I were you. He gives as much / good / well / hard as he gets. (informal: to compete or fight as hard as your opponent)
13
"Have you finished yet?" "Give me a hope / an opportunity / a try / a chance: I've only just started!" (an informal spoken expression used for telling someone not to hurry you or expect something immediately)
14
Each talk lasts for half an hour, give or remove / deduct / take / extract five minutes. (used for talking about numbers or quantities that are not exact)
15
Are you seeing another man? Give it to me straight / hard / direct / fast, Helga. I promise I won't be angry. (an informal spoken expression used for telling someone not to hide unpleasant facts from you)
16
If you are rude to me again, I'll give you when to / what for / why do / how far. (an informal spoken expression which means that you will punish someone or speak to them severely because they have done something wrong)



ANSWER KEY












































No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments