Saturday 20 April 2019

4. PRESENT CONTINUOUS AND PRESENT SIMPLE 2 (I am doing and I do)


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
4. PRESENT CONTINUOUS AND PRESENT SIMPLE 2
(I am doing and I do)

A
We use continuous forms for actions and happenings that have started but not finished (they are eating / it is raining etc.). Some verbs (for example, know and Like) are not normally used in this way. We don't say 'I am knowing' or 'they are liking'; we say 'I know', 'they Like'.

The following verbs are not normally used in the present continuous:
Like          want             need               prefer           know                 realise                suppose                mean        understand              believe               remember              belong           fit           contain           consist        seem

I'm hungry. I want something to eat. (not I'm wanting
Do you understand what I mean?
Anna doesn't seem very happy at the moment.

B
Think

When think means 'believe' or 'have an opinion', we do not use the continuous:
I think Mary is Canadian, but I'm not sure. (not I'm thinking)
What do you think of my plan? (=What is your opinion?)

When think means 'consider', the continuous is possible:
I'm thinking about what happened. I often think about it.
Nicky is thinking of giving up her job. (=she is considering it)
C
See hear smell taste

We normally use the present simple (not continuous) with these verbs:
Do you see that man over there? (not Are you seeing)
This room smells. Let’s open a window.

We often use can + see/hear/smell/taste:
I can hear a strange noise. Can you hear it?
D
Look feel

You can use the present simple or continuous to say how somebody looks or feels now:
You Look well today. or You're Looking well today.
How do you feel now? or How are you feeling now?
but
I usually feel tired in the morning. (not I'm usually feeling)
E
He is selfish and He is being selfish

He's being= He's behaving I He's acting. Compare:
I can't understand why he's being so selfish. He isn't usually like that.
(being selfish = behaving selfishly at the moment)
He never thinks about other people. He is very selfish. (not He is being)
(= He is selfish generally, not only at the moment)

We use am/is/are being to say how somebody is behaving. lt is not usually possible in other sentences:
It's hot today. (not  It is being hot)
Sarah is very tired. (not is being tired)

EXERCISES

4.1
Put the verb into the correct form, present continuous or present simple.

1
Are you hungry? ____ Do you want ___ (you /want) something to eat?
2
Don't put the dictionary away. _______ (I /use) it.
3
Don't put the dictionary away. _______ (1 /need) it.
4
Who is that man? What _______ (he /want )?
5
Who is that man? Why _______ (he /look) at us?
6
Alan says he's 80 years old, but nobody_______ (believe) him.
7
She told me her name, but _______ (I /not I remember) it now.
8
_______ (I /think) of selling my car. Would you be interested in buying it?
9
_______ (I /think) you should sell your car. _______ (you /not /use) it very often.
10
Air _______ (consist) mainly of nitrogen and oxygen.
4.2
Use the words in brackets to make sentences. (You should also study Unit 3 before you do this exercise.)

4.3
Are the underlined verbs right or wrong? Correct them where necessary.

1
Nicky is thinking of giving up her job.
__OK___
2
Are you believing in God?
_________
3
I'm feeling hungry. Is there anything to eat?
_________
4
This sauce is great. It’s tasting really good.
_________
5
I'm thinking this is your key. Am I right?
_________
4.4
Complete the sentences using the most suitable form of be. Use am/is/are being (continuous) where possible; otherwise use am/is/are (simple).

1
I can't understand why ____he’s being ____so selfish. He isn't usually like that.
2
Sarah __________ very nice to me at the moment. I wonder why.
3
You'll like Sophie when you meet her. She __________ very n1ce.
4
You're usually very patient, so why __________ so unreasonable about waiting ten more minutes?
5
Why isn't Steve at work today? __________ ill?

ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments