Saturday 13 April 2019

IDIOMATIC EMPHASIS


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR PHRASAL VERBS AND IDIOMS
IDIOMATIC EMPHASIS

A lot of adjectives can be made 'stronger' by the addition of another word or words. In most cases, these words are used as a substitute for very or extremely (sometimes because very and extremely do not collocate (= work) with the adjectives that are being used).

For example: I'm awake = I'm wide awake / I'm warm = I'm as warm as toast

Complete the sentences with a word that emphasises the adjective / adjective phrase in bold, and write your answers in the crossword grid on the next page. Some of the letters are already in the grid. Note that in some sentences more than one answer may be possible, but only one will fit in the crossword grid.

Across
2
I don't think it's safe to play football. The ground is _____ hard.
3
The party began at eight o'clock, and by midnight Jim was _____ drunk.
4
He never listens to my advice. He's as stubborn as a _____!
6
He's as thick as a _____. I don't know how anyone can be so stupid!
7
She can't hear a word you're saying. She's _____ deaf.
8
I know I'm not the most handsome man in the world, but I think it's a bit unfair to say that I'm as ugly as _____.
9
I'm bored _____ sitting here. Let's go out and do something.
12
She goes to the fitness centre every day, so as you can imagine she's _____ fit.
14
Our holiday was _____ cheap: we only paid £150 for the flights and two weeks in a four-star hotel.
15
It was a lovely day and the sea was _____ calm, so we decided to go for a swim.
16
I can't see a thing in here. It's _____ black.
18
It's raining heavily. Take an umbrella or you'll get _____ wet.
20
Alison is _____ mad: someone borrowed her dictionary and didn't return it.
23
I'm not surprised the room is cold. Someone's left the door _____ open.
25
I can't afford to come out tonight. I'm _____ broke again.
26
The children have been as good as _____ all morning.
28
You'll freeze to death in that jacket: it's _____ thin.
30
Everyone at the party was drunk except for Bob, who was stone _____ sober.
31
Don't touch the plate: it's just come out of the oven and it's _____ hot!
32
I usually buy my cars second-hand, but this time I'm going to buy a _____ new one.
Down
1
What a lovely dress. You look _____-perfect in it.
3
He went out in the snow wearing just a pair of shorts and a T-shirt. He must be _____ mad!
5
He sat in the corner as quiet as a _____.
7
Uurrgghhh! This cake is _____ sweet. I can't possibly eat it.
10
I was so tired that I went to bed at eight, and within seconds I was _____ asleep.
11
Mike has got loads of money. He's _____ rich.
12
Can I put the heating on? It's _____ cold in here.
13
I've heard that joke before. It's as old as the _____!
17
His explanation was _____ clear. I understood everything perfectly.
19
There's a _____ big rat in the kitchen.
21
The exam wasn't difficult. It was as easy as _____.
22
I must go to bed. It's been a busy day and I'm _____ tired.
24
Mr Grant is _____ dull. In fact, he's the most boring man I've ever met.
27
I'm _____ beat. I really need to get some sleep.
29
Be careful with that knife. It's _____ sharp.
30
Everyone was panicking, but Sarah remained as cool as a _____.


ANSWER KEY













































No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments