Saturday 6 April 2019

SYMPTOMS AND COMMON ILLNESSES 2 CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR MEDICINE


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR MEDICINE
SYMPTOMS AND COMMON ILLNESSES 2

Exercise 1.
Many illnesses also have informal names. Match the informal and formal names listed below. The first one has been done for you as an example.

INFORMAL
FORMAL
1
Chickenpox is the same as
allergic rhinitis
2
A cold is the same as
infectious parotitis
3
The flu is the same as
coryza
4
German measles is the same as
influenza
5
Hay fever is the same as
rubella
6
Measles is the same as
rubeola
7
Mumps is the same as
pertussis
8
Whooping cough is the same as
varicella

Exercise 2.
Complete these six conversations between doctors and patients by writing in the name of the illness. Use the informal terms from the table above.

1
What seems to be the trouble?
My eyes and my nose are running all the time.
I feel terrible.
When did this begin?
At the beginning of July.
It's probably just ……………………………
4
How are you today?
Oh, not very well. I've got a cough and a terrible cold.
Do you have a fever?
Umm, yes I do.
It's probably a touch of ……………………
2
What's the problem?
It's my son. He's got a rash and swelling in his armpits.
Does he have a fever?
Yes.
Hmm. He may have………………………
5
What's the problem?
It's my daughter. She's got a fever and this swelling. Where's the swelling?
In her throat.
It could be……………………………………
3
How are you feeling?
I've got this terrible cough.
Mm-hmm.
And after I cough I make a noise when I try to breathe. Sounds like …………………………………
6
So, what can I do for you?
It's the twins. They're covered in these dreadful red spots.
Are they experiencing any itching?
Yes, they are.
It may be……………………………………

Extension. Practise the conversations with a partner.

ANSWER KEY





                        

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments