Friday 19 April 2019

IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS THAT USE WORDS CONNECTED WITH THE ‘WEATHER’


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR PHRASAL VERBS AND IDIOMS
IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS THAT USE WORDS CONNECTED WITH THE ‘WEATHER’

As you might expect, a country with changeable weather like the United Kingdom has a lot of idioms that use weather words. In sentences 1 – 24, complete the first part of each idiom or expression in bold with its second part from the box.

…as rain     …but it pours      …cloud nine       …disposition       …for a rainy day       …in a fog       …in a storm           …in a teacup        …my thunder       …of criticism        …or shine         …parade        …rain check        …reception       …red mist         …..snowed       …the driven snow       … like the wind        …the wind blows         …thunder          …wind of        …wind out of my sails         …wind up            …your judgement

1
The Education Minister's speech to the teachers got a frosty __________.
2
I can't think properly. I'm tired, and my mind is __________.
3
I usually spend most of my salary, but I always try to save something __________.
4
I'm sorry you don't feel very well. Why don't you go to bed, and I'm sure you'll be right
__________
in the morning.
5
She's always happy, friendly and smiling: she has a really sunny __________.
6
I can't join you for lunch today. I'm absolutely __________ under with work.
7
I would avoid the boss if I were you: he's got a face like __________.
8
Your train leaves in one minute. You'll have to run __________ if you want to catch it.
9
I know that you're angry and upset, but don't let your emotions cloud __________.
10
I told Bill about my ideas for improving the company, then he told them to the boss and said they were his ideas. I can't believe he stole __________ like that!
11
I'm usually fairly calm and relaxed, but when someone intentionally scratched my car with their keys, I got the __________.
12
I thought my idea to improve sales was fantastic until my manager told me it would never work. As you can imagine, that took the __________.
13
Elaine has been on __________ ever since she got the promotion that she wanted.
14
What a morning! I got a parking ticket, then someone drove into my car in the supermarket car park, and to top it all I ran out of petrol. I guess it never rains __________.
15
I would love to go for a drink, but I'm a bit busy. Can I take a __________?
16
She thinks she's as pure as __________, but she's no better than the rest of us.
17
"We haven't got any tea. Would you like coffee instead?" "I suppose so. Any port __________".
18
"Do you think we should employ more staff?" "I'm not sure. Let's see which way __________ in the next few weeks".
19
"Are you coming to the match with us on Saturday?" "Oh yes, we wouldn't miss it for anything. We'll be there come rain __________.
20
The shop refused to refund my money, so I told them that I would take them to court. That put the ___________ them!
21
Everybody was getting angry and upset about nothing. It was just a storm __________.
22
He tried to keep his plans secret, but we soon got __________ them.
23
Her suggestions were met with a hail __________.
24
Her suggestions were excellent, and it was wrong of you to rain on her __________.


ANSWER KEY
1. a frosty reception (= the people who listened to the speech disapproved of what they heard. Frosty can be used with other words to express disapproval. For example, a frosty look, a frosty stare, a frosty tone, etc)

2. my mind is in a fog (= the speaker cannot think clearly)

3. save something for a rainy day (= save some money for when you need it)

4. right as rain (= feeling well)

5. has a really sunny disposition (= very happy, cheerful, friendly, etc)

6. snowed under (= the speaker has so much work to do that he cannot do anything else)

7. a face like thunder (= the boss looks very angry)

8. run like the wind (= run very quickly)

9. cloud your judgement (= if something clouds your judgement, it makes you less able to make a good decision)

10. stole my thunder (= he took my ideas and used them as his own, then got all the credit)

11. got the red mist (= became extremely angry)

12. took the wind out of my sails (= the manager made the speaker feel much less enthusiastic or confident about something)

13. on cloud nine (= very happy because of something that has happened. We can also say in seventh heaven)

14. it never rains but it pours (= a spoken expression which means that problems often seem to happen all at the same time)

15. take a rain check (= turn down an offer and accept it at a later date)

16. as pure as the driven snow (= an expression we use when
someone thinks that they are morally superior to other people, but we know that they are not)

17. Any port in a storm (= a spoken expression which means that you will accept any help or take any opportunity if you are in a bad situation)

18. see which way the wind blows (= if you wait to see which way the wind blows, you observe a situation carefully before making a decision)

19. come rain or shine (= a spoken expression which means that you will do something regardless of what else happens)

20. put the wind up (= if you put the wind up someone, you make them nervous or frightened)

21. a storm in a teacup (= a lot of trouble about something that is not important)

22. got wind of (= find out something secret or private)


23. a hail of criticism (= a lot of people criticised her suggestions)

24. rain on her parade (= do something to spoil someone's ideas, plans, etc)

There are also a lot of expressions that can be used to talk about the weather. If it is raining very heavily, we can say  that it is raining cats and dogs (a rather old-fashioned expression), or it's chucking (it) down. We can describe a very hot day as a scorcher. If there is a very strong wind, we might say that it is blowing a gale. If there is a cold breeze (= light wind), we could say that there is a nasty nip in the air. When the weather is very cold, we could humorously say that it is brass monkey weather or it's cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey (an old navy expression that has passed into everyday English: balls in this case are cannonballs). A thick fog could be described as a pea-souper, and the speaker might complain that he can't see his hand in front of his face. If it is cold, windy and rainy, we could describe it as a pig of a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments