Tuesday 16 April 2019

PHRASAL VERBS, IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS USING ‘PICK’


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR PHRASAL VERBS AND IDIOMS
PHRASAL VERBS, IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS USING ‘PICK’

In the following sentence pairs, complete sentence (b) so that it has the same or a very similar meaning to sentence (a). In each case, you will need to use a phrasal verb, idiom or other expression using pick. Use between two and four words in each sentence.

1
(a) They spent ages talking in detail about his faults.
(b) They spent ages _______________ his faults.
2
(a) Sales have been slow, but we hope they will improve in the summer.
(b) Sales have been slow, but we hope they will _______________ in the summer.
3
(a) I don't speak German, but I managed to learn a few phrases without intending to when I was in Munich.
(b) I don't speak German, but I managed to _______________ a few phrases when I was in Munich.
4
(a) We looked carefully at all the contents of his room looking for evidence.
(b) We _______________ the contents of his room looking for evidence.
5
(a) The manager always treats me unfairly or criticises me.
(b) The manager always _______________ me.
6
(a) I wasn't very hungry, so only ate only small amounts of the meal.
(b) I wasn't very hungry, so only _______________ the meal.
7
(a) Have you chosen a dress from your collection to wear to the party?
(b) Have you _______________ a dress to wear to the party?
8
(a) I couldn't see her in the huge crowd.
(b) I couldn't _______________ in the huge crowd.
9
(a) We'll send a car to collect you from the hotel.
(b) We'll send a car to _______________ the hotel.
10
(a) The car suddenly started going faster.
(b) The car suddenly _______________.
11
(a) We've had a very difficult year, but we're slowly returning to a normal life.
(b) We've had a very difficult year, but we're slowly _______________.
12
(a) Our company makes a lot of mobile phones. Choose one from our extensive range.
(b) Our company makes a lot of mobile phones. _______________ from our extensive range.
13
(a) My teacher is always making my work seem bad by finding all the things that are wrong with it.
(b) My teacher is always _______________ my work.
14
(a) My teacher is always making my work seem bad by finding all the things that are wrong with it.
(b) My teacher is always _______________ my work.
15
(a) I need some help buying a new computer and was wondering if I could ask you some questions so that you can give me the right advice.
(b) I need some help buying a new computer and wondering if I could _______________.
16
(a) When you invest money, make sure that you choose a company that will perform well.
(b) When you invest money, make sure that you _______________.


ANSWER KEY
1. picking over
2. pick up
3. pick up
4. picked through
5. picks on
6. picked at
7. picked out
8. pick her out
9. pick you up from
10. picked up speed
11. picking up the pieces
12. Take your pick
13. picking holes in
14. pick a fight
15. pick your brains
16. pick a winner (This informal expression can be used in any situation where you make a good decision that makes you successful)






















































No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments