Monday 15 April 2019

MIXED PHRASAL VERBS


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR PHRASAL VERBS AND IDIOMS
MIXED PHRASAL VERBS

This section looks at some common phrasal verbs that are not included in the main exercises elsewhere in this book.

Complete the second sentence of each pair with a phrasal verb so that the meaning of the sentence is the same as, or very similar to, the first sentence. The phrasal verbs should replace the words and expressions in bold. Choose your verb from the first box, and your particle from the second box. Some of the verbs, and most of the particles, must be used more than once. In some cases you will need to change the form of the verb. Also remember that some phrasal verbs need more than one particle.

Verbs

Particles
break        bring         call          carry         catch      count         die         drop         end         face         find     fall          fill        hand         hold         keep          leave        let         point          pull          put        show          wear

behind       down       in        of         off          on         out         through        to        up        with

1
Can I rely on you for your support?
Can I _______________ you for your support?
2
If you continue trying, you are bound to succeed.
If you _______________ trying, you are bound to succeed.
3
A large number of students leave university before they finish their course.
A large number of students _______________ university.
4
You must obey my instructions carefully.
You must _______________ my instructions carefully.
5
I will let you stay with me if you ever come to Oxford.
I will _______ you ________ if you ever come to Oxford.
6
You must complete this form before we can let you in.
You must _______________ this form before we let you in.
7
I think that learning English is quite difficult, and I often have problems working at the same speed as the other students in my class.
I think that learning English is quite difficult, and I often have problems _______________ the other students in my class.
8
My teacher showed me all the mistakes I had made in my essay.
My teacher _______________ all the mistakes I had made in my essay.
9
If you are late with your mortgage repayments, the bank can impose financial penalties.
If you _______________ your mortgage repayments, the bank can impose financial penalties.
10
People celebrate the Chinese New Year by exploding fireworks in the street.
People celebrate the Chinese New Year by _______________ fireworks in the street.
11
At the meeting, Laura raised the question of overtime pay.
At the meeting, Laura _______________ the question of overtime pay.
12
A lot of parents are criticised for the way they raise their children.
A lot of parents are criticised for the way they _______________ their children.
13
He was very ill, but managed to recover.
He was very ill, but managed to _______________.
14
The effects of the drug disappear after a few hours.
The effects of the drug _______________ after a few hours.
15
Andrew and Steve have argued again.
Andrew and Steve have _______________ again.
16
They refused to accept and deal with their responsibilities.
They refused to _______________ their responsibilities.
17
The meeting was cancelled because too many people were absent.
The meeting was _______________ because too many people were absent.
18
I missed a lot of lessons, and it took me a long time to get to the same level as the other students in my class.
I missed a lot of lessons, and it took me a long time to _______________ the other students in my class.
19
The storm was terrible, but eventually the wind became less strong.
The storm was terrible, but eventually the wind _______________.
20
Could you call the station and ask what time the 9.15 train from Reading arrives?
Could you call the station and __________ what time the 9.15 train from Reading arrives?
21
Some students can be very creative with the reasons they give for not giving their homework to their teachers.
Some students can be very creative with the reasons they give for not _______________ their homework.
22
You haven't completed this form properly. You've forgotten to include your date of birth.
You haven't completed this form properly. You've _______________ your date of birth.
23
The talks failed because nobody could agree on anything.
The talks _______________ because nobody could agree on anything.
24
Don't exhaust yourself by working too hard.
Don't _______ yourself _______ by working too hard.
25
I invited a lot of people to my party, but only a few came.
I invited a lot of people to my party, but only a few _______________.
26
It's pointless relying on people to help you if they don't do as they promised.
It's pointless relying on people to help you if they _______ you _______.
27
We asked him to be quiet, but he continued talking.
We asked him to be quiet, but he _______________ talking.
28
I'm sorry I was late, but I was delayed by heavy traffic on the A40.
I'm sorry I was late, but I was _______________ by heavy traffic on the A40.
29
The doctors need to do some more tests before I can leave the hospital.
The doctors need to _______________ some more tests before I can leave the hospital.
30
I would hate to lose my job and find myself on the dole.
I would hate to lose my job and _______________ on the dole.

A lot of the phrasal verbs in this exercise can have more than one meaning when used in different situations. Use your dictionary to check these other meanings.

ANSWER KEY
1. count on
2. keep on or carry on
3. drop out of
4. carry out
5. put…up
6. fill in or fill out
7. keeping up with
8. pointed out
9. fall behind with
10. letting off  
11. brought up
12. bring up (Note the difference in meaning between raise and bring up in numbers 11 and 12)
13. pull through
14. wear off
15. fallen out
16. face up to
17. called off
18. catch up with
19. died down
20. find out
21. handing in
22. left out or left off
23. broke down
24. wear ... out
25. showed up (We can also say turned up)
26. let…down
27. carried on or kept on
28. held up
29. carry out
30. end up


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments