Monday 15 April 2019

MIXED PHRASAL VERBS AND IDIOMS


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR PHRASAL VERBS AND IDIOMS
MIXED PHRASAL VERBS AND IDIOMS

In each of these paragraphs, the gaps can be completed with the same word to form a phrasal verb or idiom. The word you need can either be a noun or a verb form of that word. If it is a verb, you need to make sure you put it in its correct form. Use a dictionary to check meanings.

1
A manager is talking to an employee:

I personally think you've _____ the wrong horse and you've got your _____ to the wall, but I'll _____ you up as long as you don't _____ down. Just don't do anything behind my _____, or do anything else that is likely to get my _____ up, otherwise I'll transfer you to one of our offices in the _____ of beyond.
2
A lawyer is talking to a client:

I'll say this to your _____: you're _____ some serious charges. On the _____ of it, however, there isn't any evidence that you committed the crime, and there is no judge on the _____ of the earth who would find you guilty. The prosecution will have to _____ up to it: there's no way you're going to _____ the music over this.
3
A doctor is talking to a patient:

I can't _____ down the seriousness of your illness. I don't want to _____ on your emotions and pretend to _____ God. However, we might be able to _____ for time before you need an operation, so I'm going to recommend a course of medication. The medicine I'm going to recommend is actually illegal in this country, but I know how to _____ the system and get you some, as long as you're prepared to _____ ball with me on this.
4
A young man is talking to his best friend:

My girlfriend is always complaining about me. She says I _____ her round the bend. I just don't understand what she's _____ at, and it's _____ me to distraction. Maybe she does it on purpose in the hope that she can _____ me out. Things aren't helped by her parents _____ a wedge between us all the time. It's enough to _____ me to drink!
5
A young woman is talking to her best friend:

I can't believe I _____ under his spell and _____ for his lies. I mean, there I was _____ over myself to do everything for him, and then I discover he'd _____ in with a group of girls he'd met in the pub and had _____ head over heels for one of them. I begged him to stop seeing her, but my plea just _____ on stony ground.
6
A man is talking to a radio interviewer about an event in his life:

It was very exciting. We were about to _____ the world record for the world's largest house of cards. The room was silent with anticipation. Suddenly, one of the journalists who was there to record the moment _____ the silence by _____ wind very loudly! That _____ my concentration and I dropped the card I was about to add to the pile. Of course, the whole construction collapsed. The journalist responsible tried to make a _____ for it, but I caught him. I was going to hit him, but he looked so scared I decided to give him a _____.
7
A man is talking to a detective who is interviewing him about a stolen watch:

I had lost my job and my wife had _____ out on me, so as you can imagine I wasn't exactly _____ on air. My mind must have been on other things when I _____ into the jewellers and _____ off with one of their Rolex watches. I was arrested by one of your officers _____ the beat. Do you think I'll go to prison for this, or do you think I'll _____ free?



ANSWER KEY
1. back (the 1st gap needs backed)
2. face (the 2nd gap needs facing)
3. play
4. drive (the 2nd, 3rd and 5th gaps need driving)
5. fall (the 1st, 2nd and 6th gaps need fell, the 3rd gap needs falling and the 4th and 5th gaps need fallen)
6. break (the 2nd and 4th gaps need broke, the 3rd gap needs breaking)
7. walk (the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gaps need walked, the 5th gap needs walking)



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments