Thursday 18 April 2019

PHRASAL VERBS, IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS USING ‘TAKE’


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR PHRASAL VERBS AND IDIOMS
PHRASAL VERBS, IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS USING ‘TAKE’

Complete the phrasal verbs, idioms and other expressions in italics below. You will need one or two words to complete each one. Use your answers to fill in the crossword grid on the next page. When two words are needed, there will be no gaps between the words in the crossword grid.

Across
1
How many teams are taking _____ in the competition? (to be involved in an activity with other people)
5
Jim's taken _____ _____ a crowd of boys who have a bad reputation with the police. (to become friendly with someone, especially someone who could have a bad influence on you. You need two words here)
7
Can you take _____ the cooking while I walk the dog? (to begin to do something that someone else was doing
8
I'm not sure how much of my explanation she took _____. (to understand and remember something that you hear or read)
11
Could you take me _____ the rules again, please? (to explain to someone in detail how something should be done, what something is about, etc)
12
Don't worry, I'm only taking the _____. (informal – to say something to try and make someone or something look silly, especially in a friendly way. Clue: the word you need is also the name of a famous cartoon character!)
14
Mr Dimech can be really rude to people at times. Just take no _____ of him. (to ignore someone)
16
You should take anything he says with a pinch of _____. (to doubt the truth or value of something)
18
Playing tennis in this heat really takes it _____ _____ you. (to need a lot of effort and make you feel very tired. You need two words here)
19
I've decided to take you _____ _____ your offer of a job. (to accept an offer or invitation. You need two words here)
22
Joe takes _____ his father. (to look or behave like an older relative)
23
I didn't mean what I said. I take it _____. (informal – to admit that something you said to or about someone was wrong)
25
Sales of the new computer took _____ after the television commercial. (to become successful or popular fast)
26
You want my report by this afternoon? That's going to take a bit of _____. (to need a lot of effort, skill or determination)
Down
2
Life isn't always perfect. Sometimes you have to take the _____ with the smooth. (a spoken expression which means that bad things happen as well as good things, and you have to accept them)
3
If you say I've got a big nose again, I'll take you to the _____! (informal – to fight and defeat someone completely, or to get a lot of money from someone, either in a dishonest way or through a legal process)
4
She's said a few stupid things today, but her latest comment really takes the _____. (to be the most silly, stupid or annoying thing in a series of things)
6
Tracey is always following me around everywhere. I wish she would take a _____ and leave me
 alone. (understand what someone wants you to do, even though they do not say it directly)
9
I can't come out with you tonight, but I'll take a _____ check. (used for saying that you can't accept an offer now, but that you may accept it later)
10
My new neighbour is very strange. Oh well, it takes all _____, I suppose. (a spoken expression used for saying that you find someone's behaviour surprising or strange)
13
We're not taking _____ any new staff at the moment. (to start to employ someone)
15
Whenever he's in a bad mood, he takes it _____ _____ me. (to make someone suffer because you are angry, upset, etc. You need two words here)
17
Everybody said how nice she was, but I never really took _____ her. (to start liking someone or something)
19
She decided to take _____ photography as a hobby. (to start doing something regularly as a habit, job or interest)
20
I'm taking the day _____ next Monday. (to have a particular amount of time away from work)
21
Alan is selfish, and takes me for _____. (to expect someone to always be there and do things for you, even when you do not show that you are grateful)
22
I was taken _____ at his sudden departure. (to be very surprised)
24
The police took _____ our names and addresses. (to write down information or a statement)



ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments