Thursday 18 April 2019

PHRASAL VERBS, IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS USING ‘TIME’


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR PHRASAL VERBS AND IDIOMS
PHRASAL VERBS, IDIOMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS USING ‘TIME’

Match the first part of each sentence on the left with its second part on the right, using the idioms in bold to help you.

1. We've got a lot to do today. I'm afraid we'll be racing

2. I'm very busy at the moment, but I'll try to make

3. Once upon

4. Don is a really nice man. I have a lot of

5. Susanna is so old-fashioned. She seems to be living in a

6. I would love a holiday, but I never seem to find

7. We thought we would be late, but we arrived with

8. Shall we start now? After all, there's no

9. At last, here comes our bus. About

10. Chris is sometimes late, but nine

11. We really need to hurry. There's no

12. I don't want to make a decision now; I'll decide when

13. I don't know if we will be successful; only

14. I must have told you…

15. I'm not really watching this film; I'm just killing

16. If the company is going to compete successfully, we will need to move with

17. I've never had Japanese food before, but there's a first

18. I don't believe it. It's already 4 o'clock. Doesn't

19. If we don't win this time, we will the second

20. Picasso was a remarkable artist who was years ahead of

21. Winters here are generally cold and grey, but from

22. I'm thinking of changing jobs in the future, but I'll continue working here for the

23. This isn't a sudden decision. I've been thinking of moving for some

24. I would love to stop for a chat, but I'm a bit pressed

25. My students just aren't interested in their lessons. They don't even listen to me half

(a) … time warp.

(b) … times out of ten she's punctual.

(c) … time for everything, I suppose.

(d) … the time comes.

(e) … time, too.

(f) … the time.

(g) … for time.

(h) … time being.

(i) … time to time it can be glorious.

(j) … time fly when you're having fun!

(k) … time will tell.

(l) … the times.

(m) … time now.

(n) … time around.

(o) … his time.

(p) … against time to get everything finished.

(q) … time to spare.

(r) … time for him.

(s) … time and time again to arrive earlier.

(t) … time until my friends arrive.

(u) … the time to see you later.

(v) … time to lose.

(w) … a time there lived a handsome prince.

(x) … the time for one.

(y) … time like the present.

ANSWER KEY
1. = (p): a situation in which you do not have enough time to do something.

2. = (u): to make some of your time available for a particular purpose.

3. = (w): an expression used at the beginning of children's stories about events that happened in the past.

4. = (r): to like someone or something a lot.

5. = (a): someone or something that is in a time warp seems old-fashioned because they have not changed when other people and things have changed.

6. = (x) or (f): to make some of your time available for a particular purpose. This expression is often used in the negative.

7. = (q): earlier than necessary.

8. = (y): a spoken expression used for saying that someone should do something now, instead of waiting to do it later.

9. = (e): an expression that is usually spoken, which means that you are annoyed because something has happened later than it should.

10. = (b): usually.

11. = (v) or (q):used for telling someone to hurry.

12. = (d): used for talking about what will happen at some future time.

13. = (k): a spoken expression used for saying that you will know in the future whether something is true or right.

14. = (s): many times, usually so often that you become annoyed. We can also say time after time or time and again.

15. = (t): to make time seem to pass more quickly by doing something instead of just waiting.

16. = (l): to change and become modern.

17. = (c): used for saying that something is strange or surprising.

18. = (j): a humorous spoken expression, usually ironic, to say that you are surprised what the time is.

19. = (n): the second time that something happens. Also the first time around, the third time around, etc.

20. = (o): much more modern or advanced than other people or things.

21. = (i): sometimes, but not often.

22. = (h): for the present.

23. = (m): for a long period of time.

24. = (g): busy.

25. = (f): used for talking about things that happen fairly often.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments