Tuesday 30 April 2019

12. FOR AND SINCE When….? And How Long ….?


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
12. FOR AND SINCE
When….? And How Long ….?

A
We use for and since to say how long something has been happening.

We use for + a period of time (two hours, six weeks etc.):
I've been waiting for two hours.

Sally has been working here for six months. (not since six months)
I haven't seen Tom for three days.
We use since + the start of a period (8 o'clock, Monday, 1999 etc.):
I've been waiting since 8 o'clock.

 
Sally has been working here since April. (=from April until now)
I haven't seen Tom since Monday.
It is possible to leave out for (but not usually in negative sentences):
They've been married (for) ten years. (with or without for)
They haven't had a holiday for ten years. (you must use for)

We do not use for+ all ... (all day /all my life etc.):
I've lived here all my life. (not for all my life)

You can use in instead of for in negative sentences (I haven't ... etc.):
They haven't had a holiday in ten years. (=for ten years)
B
Compare when ... ? (+past simple) and how long ... ? (+present perfect)
A: When did it start raining?
B: It started raining an hour ago /at 1 o'clock.
A: How Long has it been raining?
B: It's been raining for an hour /since 1 o'clock.

A: When did Joe and Carol first meet?
B: They first met a long time ago/ when they were at school.
A: How long have they known each other?
B: They’ve known each other for a long time/ since they were at school.
C
We say:
or
it’s
it’s been
(= it is)
(= it has been)
a long time
six months (etc.)
since something happened
It's two years since I last saw Joe. or It's been two years since .. .
(= I haven't seen Joe for two years)
It's ages since we went to the cinema. Or It's been ages since .. .
(= We haven't been to the cinema for ages)
How Long is it since Mrs Hill died? or How Long has it been since .. . ?
(= When did Mrs Hill die?)

EXERCISES

12.1
Write for or since.

1
It’s been raining ___ since____ lunchtime.
2
Sarah has lived in Paris __________ 1995.
3
Paul has lived in Brazil ____________ten years.
4
I’m tired of waiting. We’ve been sitting here ________ an hour.
5
Kevin has been looking for a job ______________he left school.
6
I haven't been to a party_____________ ages.
7
I wonder where Joe is. I haven't seen him _____________ last week.
8
Jane is away. She's been away _____________Friday.
9
The weather is dry. It hasn't rained ______________a few weeks.
12.2
Write questions with how Long and when.

1
It’s raining.
(how long) ____ How long has it been raining?_________
(when)______ When did it start raining?___________
2
Kate is learning Japanese.
(how long /learn?) _____________________________________________
(when /start?) _____________________________________________
3
I know Simon.
(how long /you /know? _____________________________________________
(when /you /first /meet?) _____________________________________________
4
Rebecca and David are married.
(how long?)  _____________________________________________
(when?) _____________________________________________
12.3
Read the situations and complete the sentences.

1
It’s raining. It’s been raining since lunch time. It _____started raining ______ at lunchtime.
2
Ann and jess are friends. They first met years ago. They’ve _____known each other for____ years.
3
Mark is ill. He became ill on Sunday. He has ________________Sunday.
4
Mark is ill. He became ill a few days ago. He has ________________ a few days.
5
Sarah is married. She's been married for a year. She got ________________
6
You have a headache. It started when you woke up.
I’ve ________________ I woke up.
7
Sue has been in Italy for the last three weeks.
She went ________________
8
You're working in a hotel. You started six months ago.
I’ve ________________
12.4
Write B's sentences using the words in brackets.

1
A:
Do you often go on holiday?
B:
No, ____I haven’t had a holiday for ______ five years.
2
A:
Do you often see Laura?
B:
No, I ______________________ about a month
3
A:
Do you often go to the cinema?
B:
No, I ____________________ a long time.
4
A:
Do you often eat in restaurants?
B:
No, ________________________ ages.

Now write B's answers again. This time use It's ... since ... .
5
(1) ____No, it’s five years since I had a holiday___________
6
(2) No, it’s _______________________
7
(3) No, _______________________
8
(4) _______________________



ANSWER KEY
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments