Wednesday 1 August 2018

LONGMAN COMPLETE COURSE FOR THE TOEFL TEST SKILL 35: USE THE CORRECT TENSE WITH TIME EXPRESSIONS



LONGMAN COMPLETE COURSE FOR THE TOEFL TEST
STRUCTURE AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION

SKILL 35: USE THE CORRECT TENSE WITH TIME EXPRESSIONS

Often in written expression questions of the TOEFL test there is a time expression that clearly indicates what verb tense is needed in the sentence.

We moved to New York in 1980.
We had left there by 1990.
We have lived in San Francisco since 1999.
Simple past tense
Past perfect tense
Present perfect tense
She got a job two years ago.
Simple past tense
She started working last week.
Simple past tense
She has worked very hard lately.
Present perfect tense
 
The following chart lists time expressions that indicate the correct verb tense:
 

EXERCISE 35: Each of the following sentences contains a time expression. Circle the time expressions and underline the verbs twice. Then indicate if the sentences are correct (C) or incorrect (I).

 
……………
3
The Pilgrims have arrived in the New World in 1620.
……………
4
Since the new law was passed, it has been difficult to estimate taxes.
……………
5
The cashier put the money into the account two hours ago.
……………
6
All the votes have been counted last week.
……………
7
The students are writing many compositions lately.
……………
8
The Senate votes on the law to ban cigarette smoking in public in 1990.
……………
9
By the time the main course was served, all the guests had arrived and been seated.
……………
10
I had not done much more work since I talked to you on Wednesday.
 
ANSWER KEY

1
C

2
I
(have should be had)
3
I
(have arrived should be arrived)
4
C

5
C

6
I
(have been should be were)
7
I
(are should be have been)
8
I
(votes should be voted)
9
C

10
I
(had should be have)
 


















No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments