Saturday 12 December 2020

FIXED PHRASES ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 75 FIXED PHRASES

 

A

What are fixed phrases?

There are many groups of words which you need to learn as complete phrases, because they often have a meaning which is different from the words on their own. Many of these are called idioms.

They arrived out of the blue [I didn’t know they were coming; it was unexpected].

Does the name Merchant ring a bell [sound familiar]?

You’ll have to make up your mind soon. [make a decision]

Some fixed phrases are easier to understand, but the same idea may be expressed in a different way in your language.

I think we’ll have to get rid of some of this furniture. [remove it, e.g. sell it, throw it away, give it away, etc.]

I’m afraid I can’t talk to you now; I’m (just) about to leave. [I am going to leave very soon]

I don’t know what Martin said, but Natalie burst into tears [suddenly started crying]. She was very upset.

Everyone was there apart from Yasmine. [not including Yasmine; syn except for]


B

Time phrases

He’s leaving in four days’ time [four days from now; also in three weeks’/six months’/two years’ time, etc.].

I got here the week before last [during the week/month, etc. before the previous one].

The course is fine so far [up until now].

I rang our local doctor and fortunately she was able to come at once [now, immediately; syns right away / straight away].

He’s so busy at work; he comes home late night after night [every night; also day after day, etc.].

C

Pairs of words

A number of fixed phrases consist of two words, usually joined by and, and sometimes or.

I go to the theatre now and again [occasionally; syns now and then].

Andy had one or two [a few] suggestions.

I’ve got a house in the country, and I like to go there whenever possible for a bit of peace and quiet [a calm situation without noise].

I’ve been up and down the street, but I can’t find their house. [first in one direction, then the other]

I’ve been to Paris once or twice [a few times].

I’ll finish this report sooner or later [I don’t know when, but I’ll finish it].

D

Introducing advice, opinions, etc.

Many fixed phrases are used to introduce advice, an opinion, an example, etc.

If I were you [in your situation], I’d accept the job they offered you.

In general [usually, or in most situations; syn on the whole] the summers are quite warm in this part of the country.

There were lots of questions. For instance [for example], how much will it cost?

I’m sure you’ll have a great holiday. By the way, what time does the train leave? (used to introduce a new subject to the conversation)

To be honest, I didn’t like her boyfriend very much. (used to say what you really think)

EXERCISES

75.1

Using all the words in the square, find eight more phrases.


75.2

Complete the sentences with one word, then underline the full fixed phrase in each sentence.

1 She’s been working on that essay night after ________night _______.

2 I’m arranging everything for next week. By the _______________, is your sister coming this evening?

3 My parents always turn up at my flat out of the _______________.

4 Some people enjoyed the book, but to be _______________, I thought it was boring.

5 I’d like to get _______________of these CDs because I don’t listen to them any more.

6 In _______________, people are much happier when they have jobs that they enjoy.

7 I don’t know what to do at the moment but I’ll have to make up my _______________soon.

8 It’s a flexible ticket. For _______________, you can use it during the week or at weekends.

9 Can I ring you later? I’m just _______________to have lunch.

10 If I _______________you, I’d get a new dictionary.

75.3

Complete the fixed phrase in each dialogue.

1 A: Do you go there much?

B: Now _______ and again _________.

2 A: Have you had any ideas?

B: Yeah. One ______________.

3 A: Was she very upset?

B: Yes. She burst ______________.

4 A: You arrived ten days ago?

B: Yeah, the week ______________.

5 A: Should I accept the job?

B: Yes, I would if ______________.

6 A: Will they get here?

B: Yeah, sooner ______________.


75.4

Here are more idioms. Can you underline one in each sentence, and guess what it means?

 

1 I’ve been in the job a few days, but I already feel at home. ___ feel comfortable and relaxed _______

2 I’ve just bought these shoes and they cost a fortune. ______________________________

3 Could you keep an eye on my bag for me? ______________________________

4 The answer’s on the tip of my tongue. ______________________________

5 We had a night on the town last night. ______________________________

6 I could do with a new computer; mine’s quite old now. ______________________________

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments