Saturday 12 December 2020

APOLOGIES, EXCUSES AND THANKS ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 65 APOLOGIES, EXCUSES AND THANKS

 

A

Apologies with common replies

We can apologise [say sorry] in different ways in different situations.


Terribly/really makes you sound ‘more sorry’.

I beg your pardon is a more formal apology, often used if you walk into someone.

We use this phrase when we interrupt / speak to someone who is busy working.

We use this phrase when someone is waiting for us. I won’t be long = I will be with you very soon.

We use this phrase when we have to leave a room or go somewhere.

This is a more formal apology, and it is often used in business letters.

Common mistakes

 

I’m sorry I’m late. (NOT I’m sorry

for be late. OR I’m sorry to be late.)

B

Excuses

We often give an explanation or excuse after an apology. An excuse is a reason for the apology, which may or may not be true. These are excuses students might give for being late for class.

I’m sorry I’m late for class …

– There was a delay / hold-up on the underground. [when a train, plane, etc. leaves or arrives later than you expect]

– I was held up in traffic. [hold up – cause a delay and make someone late – is often used in the passive]

– My train was cancelled [the train company decided not to run the train], and I had to wait half an hour for the next one.

– I overslept [slept longer than I planned or wanted to].

C

Thanks and replies

These are some common ways of thanking people, with typical replies.

A: Thanks (very much).

B: Not at all. (also That’s OK.)

 

A: I’ve brought your books.

B: Oh, cheers. (infml)

A: No problem. (infml)

 

A: I’ll post those letters for you.

B: Oh, thank you. That’s very kind of you. (This is polite and slightly more formal.)

 

EXERCISES

65.1

Find three more pairs of phrases that have a similar meaning.

thanks very much

I’m terribly sorry

don’t worry

never mind

I was held up

cheers

I beg your pardon

there was a delay


65.2

Complete the dialogues with one word. Contractions (e.g. I’m) count as one word.

1 A: I’m _____terribly_____ sorry.

B: That’s OK.

2 A: Thanks very much.

B: ______________ at all.

3 A: Sorry to ______________ you waiting. I won’t be ______________.

B: That’s all ______________.

4 A: I’m sorry ______________ late. The 7:30 train was ______________, so I had to wait for the next one.

B: That’s OK. No ______________.

5 A: I gave your parents a lift to the station.

B: Oh, thanks. That’s very ______________ of you.

6 A: I must ______________ for missing the meeting yesterday afternoon.

B: ______________ mind. I’ll ask Claire to tell you what happened.

7 A: I ______________ your pardon. I thought the room was empty.

B: That’s OK.

65.3

What could you say in these situations? If it is an apology, give an explanation.

1 You walk into someone by accident and he/she almost falls over.

_____ I’m terribly sorry. OR I beg your pardon. I didn’t see you. ____________________

2 You arrange to meet some friends in town at 9 am but you are twenty minutes late.

________________________________________________________________________________

3 Your car has broken down. You’re pushing it to the side of the road and a man offers to help.

________________________________________________________________________________

4 You need to speak to your boss but she’s working. What do you say when you enter her office?

________________________________________________________________________________

5 You have to leave a meeting to take an important phone call. What do you say to the others?

________________________________________________________________________________

6 You are on the phone but a customer is waiting to talk to you. What can you say to them?

________________________________________________________________________________

7 You are late for an appointment because you had to wait half an hour in traffic.

________________________________________________________________________________

 

8 Your company promised to send some information to a customer last week. You still haven’t sent the information and you must now write to explain. Write the first sentence of your letter.

________________________________________________________________________________

65.4


ANSWER KEY

v

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments