Saturday 12 December 2020

REQUESTS, PERMISSION AND SUGGESTIONS ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 66 REQUESTS, PERMISSION AND SUGGESTIONS

 

A

Requests and replies


Language help

 

As the requests become bigger it is normal to use longer phrases which sound more polite.

B

Asking permission and replies


Language help

 

When we answer go ahead or help yourself, we are giving someone permission to do the thing they have asked.

C

Suggestions and replies


We can reply with different answers, from positive to negative.

Yeah, (that’s a) great idea.        Yes, if you like.             No, I don’t fancy that.

That sounds good.                      Yeah, I don’t mind.      Mm, I’d rather do something else. [I would prefer to do something else.]

EXERCISES

66.1

Correct six more mistakes in the dialogue.

A: Do you like to go out this evening? Would

B: I’m afraid but I haven’t got any money.

A: That’s OK. I’ll pay. How about go to see a film?

B: No, I think I’d rather to stay in. I have to do some homework.

A: Why you don’t do your homework this afternoon?

B: I’m busy this afternoon.

A: Well, we could to go tomorrow.

B: Yeah, it’s a great idea.

66.2

Match 1–6 with a–f.


66.3

Complete the dialogues with one word. Contractions (e.g. don’t) count as one word.

1 A: What _____would _____ you like to do this weekend?

B: I don’t _______________. You decide.

2 A: Could you _______________open that window? It’s very hot in here.

B: Yes, of _______________.

3 A: I was _______________if you could give me a lift to Luke’s this evening.

B: Sure, no _______________.

4 A: What do _______________you doing this evening?

B: I don’t _______________. Any ideas?

A: Why _______________we go to the cinema? We haven’t been for ages.

B: Yeah, that’s a great _______________.

5 A: Do you _______________if I use your phone?

B: No, go _______________.

6 A: OK. Where _______________we go on Saturday?

B: How _______________going to the beach if the weather’s nice?

A: Yeah. Or we _______________try that new sports centre just outside town.

B: Mmm. I think I’d _______________go to the beach.

A: Yes, OK, if you _______________.

66.4

Reply to the questions. Try to give a different answer each time.

1 Could I borrow your pen for a minute? ______ Yes, sure. _________

2 Could you possibly post a letter for me? ______________________________

3 I was wondering if you’ve got a suitcase you could lend me? ______________________________

4 Do you mind if I take this chair? ______________________________

5 I’ve got some tickets for a concert. Do you fancy going? ______________________________

6 How about going to a football match at the weekend? ______________________________

7 Why don’t we meet this afternoon and practise our English? ______________________________

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments