Tuesday 15 December 2020

FORMAL LETTERS AND EMAILS ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 98 FORMAL LETTERS AND EMAILS

 

A

A formal letter

 


B

Useful words and phrases

Thank you for your letter regarding [about] the damage to your vehicle.

I regret to inform you [I am sorry to say] that your application [official request for something] has not been successful.

I am pleased to inform you that your application has been successful. [I am happy to say]

I am writing to enquire about English courses at your school. [ask about]

You will need to confirm the booking in writing [write to say that the booking is certain].

We would like to thank you for offering your support [say thank you for offering your help].

We would like to apologise for [say sorry for] the delay [when something arrives later than expected]. OR Please accept our apologies for the delay.

I enclose a cheque for £100. [I am sending a cheque for £ 100 in the same envelope as this letter.]

EXERCISES

98.1

Correct seven more mistakes in the email.


98.2

Finish the sentences.

1 If you don’t know the person you are writing to, you start ____ Dear Sir or Madam _______

2 If you would like more information, you ask for further _________________

3 A common way of closing a letter is I look forward  _________________

4 If you don’t know the person you are writing to, you end Yours _________________

5 If you know the name of the person, you can end Yours _________________

6 Another way of ending a letter is Kind _________________

7 At the end of the letter you also write your _________________

98.3

Rewrite the phrases and sentences in more formal English, starting with the words given. Keep a similar meaning.

1 Thanks for the letter about the fire. Thank you for your letter _____regarding the fire._________

2 I’m sorry to tell you … I ______________________________

3 I’m happy to tell you … I am ______________________________

4 Are you free on Wednesday? Are you ______________________________

5 I want to ask about the dates of the course. I would like to ______________________________

6 We want to say sorry for the delay. Please accept ______________________________

7 Please send me the details. I would be ______________________________

8 Could you say that’s definite in a letter? Could you ______________________________

9 I’m sending a copy of my CV. I ______________________________

98.4

Complete the letter.

 


ANSWER KEY



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments