Saturday 12 December 2020

LIKES, DISLIKES, ATTITUDES AND PREFERENCES ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 68 LIKES, DISLIKES, ATTITUDES AND PREFERENCES

 

A

Likes and dislikes

 

agree

disagree

I love rock music.

I’m really into dance music.

[like it very much; infml]

I like a lot of pop music.

So do I. / Me too.

So am I. / Me too.

So do I. / Me too.

Really? I don’t.

Really? I’m not.

Do you? I hate it.

I quite like salsa and samba.

I don’t mind jazz. [it’s OK]

So do I. / Me too.

Yeah, it’s OK.

Oh, I’m not very keen.

Oh, I can’t stand it.

I’m not very keen on folk music.

I can’t stand classical music.

[dislike it very much; infml]

I hate opera.

Neither am I. / Me neither.

Neither can I. / Me neither.

So do I. / Me too.

Really? I love it.

Really? I quite like it.

Language help

 

 

Many of these verbs can be followed by a noun or an -ing form, e.g. I love driving, I like singing, I don’t mind work, I dislike driving, I can’t stand getting up early, I hate cold weather.

 






B

Attitudes and interests

My attitude to a lot of things has changed over the years. [how you think or feel about something]

I used to like chips. [I liked chips in the past but not now.]

I used to play computer games, but now they don’t interest me. [I don’t find them interesting.]

I’m very interested in modern architecture, but I used to think it was awful.

I used to go swimming a lot, but now I don’t go at all [at all makes a negative stronger].

Mark and I used to have the same interests [things we enjoy doing], but now it seems we have nothing in common [have no interests that are similar; opp have a lot in common].

Common mistakes

 

I’m interested in seeing that. (NOT I’m interest in seeing that; OR I’m interested to see that.)

It takes time to get used to [become familiar with] living in a different country.

I didn’t like my new glasses at first, but now I’ve got used to them.

I found the winters very cold at first, but you get used to it.

C

Which do you, or would you, prefer?

 


EXERCISES

68.1

Correct the mistakes in B’s replies.

1 A: I can drive.

B: So do I. _____ can ________

2. A: I love modern art.

B: Yes, so I do. ________________________

3. A: Do you like chocolate?

B: Yes, I like very much. ______________________

4. A: Do you like it in England?

B: Yes, I’m getting used to live here. ______________________

5 A: I don’t like shopping.

B: Me too. ____________________

6 A: Do you like football?

B: Yes, but I prefer rugby than football. ______________

7. A: Do you like this?

B: No, I’m not interest in music. ______________

68.2

Complete each sentence with one word.

1 My sister loves Robbie Williams, but I can’t ____ stand _______ him.

2 The two boys have nothing in _______________; they’re completely different.

3 The others enjoyed the film, but I didn’t like it at _______________.

4 I love the cinema, but this particular film doesn’t  _______________ me.

5 Carole is really _______________ modern art at the moment. Personally, I hate it.

6 I  _______________ to love cheese, but I never eat it now.

7 A: Would you like to go out? B: I’d _______________stay here, actually. Is that OK with you?

8 I didn’t like raw fish at first, but I’m  _______________ used to it now.

68.3

Agree with the statements using so or neither and the correct verb. Then agree using Me too or Me neither.


68.4

Rewrite the sentences using the word in capitals. Keep a similar meaning.

1 He likes salsa. INTO ________ He’s into salsa. _________________

2 I hate these new shoes. STAND _________________________________

3 She’d prefer to go home. RATHER _________________________________

4 I don’t like James Bond films very much. KEEN  _________________________________

5 I think the new building is alright. MIND _________________________________

6 I went riding a lot in the past, but not now. USED _________________________________

7 We have a lot of the same interests. COMMON _________________________________

8 I’m becoming familiar with this new computer. USED _________________________________

9 I don’t feel the same way about work now. ATTITUDE _________________________________

68.5


ANSWER KEY



 

2 comments:

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments