Monday 14 December 2020

PREPOSITIONS: PLACE AND MOVEMENT ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 90 PREPOSITIONS: PLACE AND MOVEMENT

 

A

At, on and in

At a point or place, e.g. I met her at the bus stop. He’s at work at the moment.

On a surface, e.g. The book’s on the desk. They sat on the floor. I put the picture on the wall.

In an area, space, or inside something, e.g. He’s in the kitchen. She lives in Warsaw/Poland. The knife’s in the top drawer

Common mistakes

 

I met them at the airport. (NOT I met them on the airport.)

There’s a computer on my desk. (NOT There’s a computer in my desk.)

The conference is being held in Delhi. (NOT The conference is being held at Delhi.)

B

Where exactly?


I know they live in Danvers Street, and I think they’re at number twenty-three.


I’m sure there’s a chemist on the left before the bank. [first there is a chemist, and then a bank; opp after]


C

Movement


EXERCISES

90.1

Complete the sentences.

1 I put the milk ___in___ the fridge.

2 They live _________ the next road.

3 They live _________ 34 Lawrence Street.

4 Your clothes are _________ the floor.

5 I met her _________ a party.

6 She works _________ Moscow.

7 The dictionary is _________ my desk.

8 I sat _________ the bed and wrote the letter.

9 I left my books _________ school.

10 There was snow _________ the ground when I arrived.

11 The key is _________ my jacket pocket.

12 Mausha’s _________ work this morning.

90.2

Put the prepositions in the box under the correct picture.

beside

towards

out of

down

among

into

up

underneath


90.3

Complete the dialogues so that B says the opposite to A.

1 A: Did you go up the hill?

B: No,________ down the hill. _______________

2 A: Did you climb over the fence?

B: No, we went ___________________________.

3 A: Did you see her get into the car?

B: No, but I saw her ___________________________.

4 A: Did you say we had to turn left before the bridge?

B: No, turn left ___________________________.

5 A: Does she live in the flat above you?

B: No, she’s in the flat ___________________________.

6 A: Did you say the bed was in the middle of the room?

B: No, it’s  ___________________________ the wall.

90.4


ANSWER KEY



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments