Wednesday 9 December 2020

BOOKS AND FILMS ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 43 BOOKS AND FILMS

 

A

Books

“I used to hate literature1 at school, but now I read a lot. I started off with fiction2. I read hundreds of novels3, mostly thrillers4 and science fiction5. My favourite author6 is John le Carré.

Recently, I’ve started reading quite a lot of biographies7, and even some poetry8. Two of my favourite poets are Antonio Machado and Federico García Lorca. They both wrote poems in the early 20th century.”


B

Films

How do you decide which films you are going to see?


If it’s a horror film [a film that makes people frightened, e.g. Dracula], I usually go and see it. I love horror films.


If a film gets good reviews [opinions in a newspaper or magazine], then I often go and see it.

 


EXERCISES

43.1

Find twelve more words, across or down, connected with books and films.


43.2

Cross out one wrong word in each sentence. Write the correct word at the end.

1 Many poems are around 300 pages. ____ novels_____________

2 Cinema grew in popularity in the first half of the 20th year. _______________

3 I enjoy science fiction because I like stories about the past. _______________

4 What’s happening at the cinema? _______________

5 We went to see the film because there was a good article in the newspaper. _______________

6 I’ve been reading a new autobiography of Alfred Hitchcock by Donald Spoto. _______________

7 Comedies should make people frightened. _______________

43.3

Complete the sentences with the correct form of the word on the right.

1 William Wordsworth is a very famous ________poet _________. POETRY

2 I thought the film was good ________________. ENTERTAIN

3 Johnny Depp is one of my favourite ________________. ACT

4 My daughter wrote a lovely ________________for her school magazine. POETRY

5 I thought the ________________in the film was a bit unnatural. ACT

6 I like him very much; he’s a great ________________. ENTERTAIN

7 I didn’t agree with what the ________________said. REVIEW

8 Who’s your favourite ________________? DIREC

43.4

Complete the dialogue.

A: What’s 1______ on _______ at the cinema?

B: Er, there’s the 2_________________ film by Pedro Almodóvar. It only came out yesterday.

A: Oh, the guy who 3_________________  Julieta. He’s a very good 4_________________, but I don’t understand some of his films – they’re a bit 5_________________  for me. Anything else 6_________________?

B: Well, a couple of romantic 7_________________, which may be fun. And they’re showing The Kite Runner again.

A: Oh, what’s that?

B: It’s a film based on the 8_________________  by Khaled Hosseini. It’s a very good book.

Do you 9_________________  seeing that?

A: Yeah, why not.

43.5


ANSWER KEY



 

1 comment:

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments