Tuesday 8 December 2020

TRANSPORT ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 28 TRANSPORT

 

A

Vehicles

Vehicle is the general word for all types of road transport.


B

Travelling around


I go to work by bus. It’s only three stops.

We got the train to Cardiff, but the journey was terrible.

When the bus fares went up last month, my dad started cycling to work.

I got out of the taxi and almost walked away without paying the fare.

If there are more flights, airfares should be cheaper.

We were going to get the train to Paris, but in the end we decided to fly.

Common mistakes

 

It was a good journey. (NOT It was a good travel.)

C

Are you happy with public transport?*


Where I live buses are not very convenient1; the nearest bus stop is half a mile away2. And when I do get the bus, I often have to wait in a queue3 for about twenty minutes, and then three come along at the same time!



 

 

 

EXERCISES

28.1

Choose the correct word(s) to complete the sentences.

1 We were late, so we had to get / catch a taxi.

2 You mustn’t ride / drive a motorbike without a helmet in the UK.

3 She told him to get in / get on the car and fasten his seat belt.

4 The journey / travel to the airport takes half an hour.

5 Trains to the airport travel / run every half hour.

6 The pilot didn’t want to drive / fly the plane in such bad weather.

7 They left a bit late and lost / missed the bus.

8 I see that train fares / tickets are going up again.

9 You mustn’t speak to the bus pilot / driver when he is driving.

10 We must get off / out the bus at the next station / stop.

28.2

Test your knowledge. Can you label the vehicles without looking at the opposite page?


28.3

Complete the sentences.

1 I wasn’t happy with the service, so I made a _____ complaint _________-.

2 The flight was fine but we had a terrible from ______________  the airport to our hotel.

3 Where I live, the public transport is not very ______________  because the nearest bus stop is two kilometres ______________  , and there are no trains at all.

4 The train station is just round the ______________ from where I live.

5 Buses are not very ______________.  Sometimes they come every five minutes, but other times you have to wait for forty minutes.

6 When I got to the bus stop there was a long ______________  of people.

7 Train fares are crazy: a ______________  to Glasgow costs more than two singles.

8 People are always ______________  about the buses, but I don’t think they’re that bad.

9 I use the trains every day for work, so I’ve got a ______________ ticket.

10 Your train is going to depart from ______________ six at 10:25.

28.4


ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments