Monday 14 December 2020

GO: MEANINGS AND EXPRESSIONS ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 84 GO: MEANINGS AND EXPRESSIONS

 

A

Different meanings of go

• When we leave a place in order to do an activity, especially for enjoyment, we often express it with go + -ing or go (out) for a + noun.

We could go shopping / sightseeing / swimming / clubbing [to a nightclub] tomorrow.

Why don’t we go (out) for a walk / drive / drink / meal / picnic at lunchtime?

Go can also describe a changing state (usually to a bad one) with certain adjectives.

My dad’s going grey [his hair is becoming grey] and my uncle is going bald [losing his hair].

My grandmother is going deaf [deaf = cannot hear].

Our 12-year-old dog is going blind [blind = cannot see].

He’ll go mad if you wear his jacket. [become very angry; infml]

• We use go when we want to ask/say if a road or form of transport takes you somewhere.

Does this bus go to the National Gallery?

I think this road goes through the village.

Go can also mean ‘disappear’.

When I looked in the drawer, my watch had gone [it was there before, but not now].

Go and get means fetch [go to a place and bring something back with you].

You stay here, and I’ll go and get the bags from the car.

 


B

Phrasal verbs and expressions

 


EXERCISES

84.1

Complete the sentences with an -ing noun, e.g. riding, or (out) for a + noun, e.g. (out) for a walk.

1 I went ______ shopping _______ this morning and bought some new clothes.

2 It was a lovely day, so we made some sandwiches and decided to go _______________.

3 Why don’t we go _______________in that nice new café near the square?

4 I wanted to go _______________because it was my first time in Rome.

5 My brother has just got a new sports car. We could go _______________ at the weekend.

6 The pool is at the end of the road, so we often go _______________ .

7 I’m just going to take the dog _______________ .

8 We went _______________ last night and didn’t get home until three this morning.

9 It was my father’s birthday, so we decided to go _______________ .

84.2

Replace the underlined words with a different word or phrase. Keep a similar meaning.

1 He went mad when he saw me. _______ got angry_____________

2 Hi Sue. How’s it going? ___________________

3 Could you go and get my handbag from the other room? ___________________

4 Do you want to go on and do the next exercise? ___________________

5 What’s going on in the next classroom? ___________________

6 When I got back, the others had gone. ___________________

7 I can’t stay for the weekend; I have to go back on Friday. ___________________

8 Excuse me. Does this road go to the bus station? ___________________

9 My girlfriend had fish but I went for the chicken dish. ___________________

84.3

Complete the dialogues with a phrasal verb or expression using go.

1 A: I hear you had problems with your exam?

B: Yes, everything _______ went wrong _________. I couldn’t answer any of the questions.

2 A: Can’t he see very well?

B: No, I’m afraid he’s _________________.

3 A: Your uncle’s just opened a new restaurant, hasn’t he? How’s it doing?

B: Great. It’s _________________.

4 A: I imagine your parents were angry that you had a party when they were away.

B: They were. My dad _________________.

5 A: Simon isn’t losing his hair already, is he?

B: Yes, I’m afraid he’s _________________.

6 A: Are the books downstairs in the staffroom?

B: Yes. Could you _________________ them for me?

A: Yeah, sure.

7 A: Are you having a holiday this year?

B: Yes, we’re hoping to _________________ in the summer.

8 A: What have you done?!

B: I don’t know. The lights just _________________.

84.4


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments