Monday 14 December 2020

KEY VERBS: GIVE, KEEP AND MISS ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 82 KEY VERBS: GIVE, KEEP AND MISS

 

A

Give

We can use give when someone or something causes a certain effect.

All that noise has given me a headache.

The walk this morning gave me an appetite [made me hungry].

Listening to Wai Sin has given me an idea.

We often use give with different nouns to express an action.

He gave me some advice [advised me].

Valentina gave us a shock when she shouted like that. [shocked us]

I had to give a speech at the wedding. [talk formally to a group of people; also give a lecture]

I’ll give her a ring [ring/phone her].

I had lots of work to do, but fortunately Ollie gave me a hand [helped me].

 


B

Keep

Keep can mean to stay or cause someone to stay in a particular state or condition.

Keep right [stay on the right side].

She asked us to keep quiet.

This coat will keep you warm.

Going to the gym keeps me fit.

Keep (on) doing something means to repeat doing something, and often it is something you don’t want to do or happen.

I keep losing my glasses.

I keep getting backache.

She keeps on interrupting me. [talks to me / disturbs me when I am doing something]

If you keep in touch, you continue to communicate with someone, especially by phone or email.

I met Mara on holiday and we’ve kept in touch ever since.

If you keep a secret, you don’t tell other people something that you know.

Tom told me not to tell anyone about his new job, but I’m not very good at keeping a secret.

If you keep something up, you continue doing something at a high level.

You’re working hard and your English is improving. That’s good – keep it up.

C

Miss

If you miss a person, you feel sad because that person is not there.

When I went to work in Hungary, I really missed my girlfriend.

If you miss what someone says, you don’t hear it.

I’m sorry, I missed that. What did you say?

If you miss a chance / opportunity, you don’t use an opportunity to do something.

Lily’s been chosen for the team, but now she’s injured, she might miss her chance to play.

If you miss something, you manage to avoid it or not experience it.

I left home early in order to miss the rush hour.

EXERCISES

82.1

Match each verb with three phrases on the right.


82.2

Complete the sentences with a suitable adjective or -ing form.

1 I never drink coffee at night; it keeps me _____ awake _______.

2 This umbrella should keep you ______________.

3 I don’t know why she keeps ______________– it wasn’t a very funny story.

4 If you do lots of exercise, it’ll keep you ______________.

5 It’s really stupid, but I keep ______________ to lock the doors and windows when I go out.

6 They’re making a lot of noise in there. Could you tell them to keep ______________?

7 I know his name is Stuart, but I keep ______________it’s Stephen.

8 I keep ______________up early in the morning because it’s so light in my bedroom.

82.3

Complete the dialogues using a verb + noun. Don’t repeat the underlined phrases.

1 A: He’s sad without Harper.

B: I know. He __________ misses her ________.

2 A: Did you phone her?

B: Yes, I ______________ her a ______________ last night.

3 A: He didn’t put his arms round her, did he?

B: Yes. He her ______________ a big ______________.

4 A: Have you stayed in contact with your old school friends all this time?

B: Yes, I’ve tried to ______________ in ______________ as much as possible.

5 A: Could anyone help me with this?

B: Yeah, I’ll ______________ you a ______________.

6 A: It’s his own fault. He had a chance to go and he didn’t take it.

B: I know. He ______________ his ______________.

7 A: I expect you’re hungry after all that work.

B: Yes, it’s me ______________ an ______________.

82.4

Complete the sentences with the correct verb and a word from the box.

shock

fun

headaches

secret

push

up

dog

idea

rush hour

 

1 She ___ gave ____ me a ____ shock  _____ when she broke that window.

2 If we leave the party early, we’ll _____________ all the _____________.

3 The guys are working really hard, but I don’t know if they can _____________ it _____________.

4 I couldn’t get the car started, but fortunately someone _____________ me a _____________.

5 We left before seven because we wanted to _____________ the _____________.

6 She doesn’t know what the problem is, but she _____________ getting _____________.

7 I saw a fascinating programme on TV, and that’s what _____________ me the _____________.

8 When I go on holiday alone, I really _____________ my _____________.

9 I didn’t say anything to Annie about the wedding because she can’t _____________ a _____________.

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments