Sunday 13 December 2020

PHRASAL VERBS 1: FORM AND MEANING ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 79 PHRASAL VERBS 1: FORM AND MEANING

 

A

Formation

A phrasal verb is a verb + adverb or preposition, and sometimes a verb + adverb and preposition.

He fell over [fell to the ground] and hurt his knee.

I’ll try to find out [learn/discover] the quickest way to get there.

He didn’t like his coat, so he gave it away [gave it to someone for no money].

If you don’t understand the meaning, look it up [find the meaning in a book/dictionary].

Who’s going to sort out the problem? [deal with it successfully; solve it]

He doesn’t get on with [have a good relationship with] his parents. (verb + adv. + prep.)

B

Meaning

The adverb or preposition does not always change the meaning of the verb, and is not always used.

I didn’t wake (up) until 7 o’clock.

Hurry (up) or we’ll be late.

She’s saving (up) for a new computer.

I went to lie (down) on the bed.

Sometimes an adverb adds a particular meaning to the verb. For example, back can mean return.

I bought this jacket yesterday, but I’m going to take it back to the shop; it’s too small.

You can look at the books, but remember to put them back on the shelf.

They liked Greece so much they want to go back next year.

Often, the adverb or preposition changes the meaning of the verb: give up doesn’t mean the same as give, and carry on doesn’t mean the same as carry.

My wife has decided to give up [stop] smoking.

We’ll take a short break and then carry on [continue] with the meeting.

The shops are going to put up [increase] the price of bread.

When the hotel gets busy, we have to take on [employ] more staff .

C

Multiple meanings

Many phrasal verbs have more than one meaning.

go away

I was busy, so I told him to go away [leave].

We try to go away in August. [go on holiday]

Pick something /someone up

I picked up most of the rubbish. [lifted it from the floor]

I’m going to pick Jane up at the station. [collect someone, usually in a car]

Put something on

Could you put the light on [make a piece of equipment work by pressing a switch; syn switch sth on]?

I put on my best suit. [put clothes on your body]

 


EXERCISES

79.1

Choose the correct adverb or preposition to complete the sentence.

1 I can’t see. Could you put the light ___________________?    a in     b on     c out

2 If he doesn’t want it, he can give it ___________________.   a out      b away    c up

3 Have they sorted it ___________________?      a out       b over      c up

4 It was broken, so I had to take it ___________________.     a over        b on          c back

5 I went to the airport to pick her ___________________.      a up         b down         c over

6 What time did you wake ___________________?     a to          b up          c for

7 I get married next year. I need to start saving ___________________.    a out     b on       c up

8 Could you switch the TV ___________________?     a down        b on          c in

79.2

Replace the underlined word(s) with a phrasal verb that keeps a similar meaning.

1 We never discovered what it means. _____found out______

2 I’d like to return next year. ___________________

3 We collected Mia from the station. ___________________

4 We’ll have to increase the price this year. ___________________

5 I’ve decided to stop eating chocolate. ___________________

6 Is Hana going to continue with her English course? ___________________

7 I told them to leave. ___________________

8 I have a good relationship with my parents. ___________________

9 We are planning to employ ten new drivers next year. ___________________

79.3

Look at the dictionary entry for go off and match the meanings with the sentences below.

a When the light goes off, the machine has finished. ____3______

b My alarm clock went off early this morning. ____________

c I think this meat has gone off. ____________

d The bomb went off without any warning. ____________

e Beatriz went off early; she had to meet a friend. ____________

79.4

Complete the dialogues.

1 A: Can you afford that bike?

B: No, I’ll have to _____save up _____ for it.

2 A: Is there still a problem?

B: Don’t worry. I’ll _____________ it _____________.

3 A: Can we look at some books?

B: Yes, but _____________ them _____________ afterwards.

4 A: Did you feel unwell?

B: Yes, I had to _____________ on the bed.

5 A: What’s the matter?

B: I _____________ and cut my knee.

6 A: I don’t know what this means.

B: Well, _____________ it _____________ in a dictionary.

7 A: Does he look smart?

B: Yes. He’s _____________ his suit.

8 A: _____________ or we’ll be late.

B: OK, I’m coming.

 


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments