Thursday 10 December 2020

PHONING AND TEXTING ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 53 PHONING AND TEXTING

 

A

Starting a phone conversation

The call on the left is between two friends: Joe and Lily. When British people answer the phone at home, they usually just say ‘hello’. The call on the right is a more formal business call.

JOE: Hello?

LILY: Is that Joe?

JOE: Yeah.

LILY: Hi. It’s Lily.

Common mistakes

 

We say: Is that Joe? (NOT Are you Joe? or Is it Joe?)

And we say: It’s Lily. (NOT I am Lily or Here is Lily.)

RECEPTIONIST: Good morning. Chalfont Electronics.

PAUL SHARP: Oh, could I speak to Jane Gordon, please?

RECEPTIONIST: Yes. Who’s calling, please?

PAUL SHARP: My name is Paul Sharp from Bexel Plastics.

RECEPTIONIST: Right, Mr Sharp. I’m putting you through [I’m connecting you] … (pause) …

JANE GORDON: Hello?

PAUL SHARP: Mrs Gordon?

JANE GORDON: Speaking. [Yes, this is Mrs Gordon.]

B

Problems on the phone


C

Phone numbers

Q: What’s your home phone number? (also landline) A: 603 884

Q: What’s your mobile number? A: 07723 259369

Q: What’s the emergency number for the police, fire or ambulance? A: 999

Q: What’s the dialling code for the UK when you are phoning from Hungary? A: 0044

D

Mobile phones and texting

Many people use their mobile mostly/mainly [most of the time] for texting [sending short written messages from one phone to another]. Do you text your friends and family all the time?

These are common text abbreviations [letters which represent words].


EXERCISES

53.1

Answer the questions.

1 What are two more ways of saying I called him?

_____ I phoned him. ___________________

2 You phoned Tom but weren’t able to speak to him. What are three possible reasons for this?

 

 

3 You can ring a phone number. What are three other numbers you can ring?

_____________ number _____________ number _____________ number

53.2

Complete the phone conversations.

A: Hello?

B: Good morning. Could I ___1 speak to __________ Luke James?

A: Who’s 2______________, please?

B: 3______________ Liam Matthews.

A: One moment, please. I’m 4______________ you through.

C: Hello?

B: 5______________ Mr James?

C: 6______________ .

A: Good morning. Boulding Limited. Can I help you?

B: Yes. I’m trying to contact Oliver Fallow. He left a 7______________ on my 8______________.

A: I see. Well, I’m afraid Mr Fallow’s 9______________ at the moment. Can I ask him to 10______________ you later?

A: Hello.

B: Hi. 11______________ Carlos?

A: Yeah, speaking.

B: Hi Carlos. 12______________ Serena.

A: Oh hello. I was expecting you to ring last night.

B: I did, but I couldn’t get 13______________; the line was 14______________ .

A: Oh yes, I’m sorry about that. I was 15______________ the phone to my brother for about English Vocabulary in Use Pre-intermediate and Intermediate an hour.

53.3

What do these text abbreviations mean?

1

GRT = _______ great __________

2

X= _________________________

3

CU= _________________________

4

IMO= _________________________

5

ASAP=_________________________

6

FYL= _________________________

7

LOL= _________________________

8

THX= _________________________

9

BF= _________________________

10

U= _________________________

53.4


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments