Sunday 13 December 2020

PHRASAL VERBS 2: GRAMMAR AND STYLE ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 80 PHRASAL VERBS 2: GRAMMAR AND STYLE

 

A

Phrasal verbs with no object

Some phrasal verbs don’t have an object. We cannot put other words between the parts of the verb.

When does your train get in [arrive]?

Hold on [wait a moment], I just need to get my coat.

The car broke down on my way to work. [stopped working]

I’ll call for them at 8 o’clock. [go to collect them]

We set off [started the journey] about 7.30.

B

Phrasal verbs with an object

Many phrasal verbs need an object. We can usually put the object in different positions.

Put on your shoes.         Put your shoes on.

Turn on the TV.             Turn the TV on.

Take off your coat.         Take your coat off.

These are separable phrasal verbs, but if the object is a long phrase, it usually goes at the end, e.g. I turned off the lights in the living room. If the object is a pronoun, it must go in the middle, e.g. Turn it off.

There are some phrasal verbs where the object must come after the phrasal verb.

I will look after the children for you. [take care of them]

How did the two men break into the shop? [enter the shop using force, e.g. breaking a window]

Common mistakes

 

Put them on. (NOT Put on them.); Take it off. (NOT Take off it.)

C

In dictionaries

Dictionaries usually show the grammar of a phrasal verb like this:


D

Style

Phrasal verbs are commonly used in spoken and written English. Many phrasal verbs are quite informal, and sometimes there is a single word with the same meaning as a phrasal verb, which sounds more formal. We use this word instead of the phrasal verb in more formal situations.

leave sb/sth out [not include sb/sth; syn omit], e.g. He made a list of people but left me out.

make sth up [create sth from your imagination; syn invent], e.g. We had to make up a story.

put sth off [put sth back to a later date; syn postpone], e.g. They put the game off till Friday.

turn sth/sb down [refuse an off er or request; syn reject], e.g. I off ered her a job but she turned it down.

EXERCISES

80.1

Correct any mistakes with word order in the sentences. Be careful: some are correct.

1 She asked me to hand out them. ____ hand them out ____

2 I’ve got some boots but I’ll put on them later.

3 Could you turn the light on?

4 My boots were tight and I couldn’t take off them.

5 We set off very early this morning.

6 Why did they turn down it?

7 The boys were hanging the station around.

80.2

Replace the underlined word with a phrasal verb that makes the sentence more informal.

1 Could you wait a minute, please? _____hold on_________

2 As so many people are ill, I’ve had to postpone the meeting till next week. _______________

3 The teacher told us to invent a story to go with the picture in our books. _______________

4 They omitted a number of the names from my list. _______________

5 I don’t know why he rejected my offer of help. _______________

6 The train should arrive by ten o’clock. _______________

80.3

Write a sentence to describe what is happening or what has happened in the pictures.


80.4

Complete the phrasal verbs.

1 I’m not stopping, so I won’t take ____off _____ my coat.

2 We didn’t think Mike was good enough, so we left him _______.

3 He told me he was 25, but I don’t believe him. I think he’s making that _______.

4 We’ll get there by seven if we set _______now.

5 I’ll call _______you a bit later. I should be at your house by 7 o’clock.

6 They offered him the job but he turned it _________.

80.5

Complete these sentences in a suitable way.

1 It was cold so I put on ______ my gloves/coat/scarf ___________.

2 Inma is still getting over ______________________________

3 I’m not very good at making up ______________________________

4 She asked me to turn on ______________________________

5 Two men tried to break into ______________________________

6 She’s going out, so I said I’d look after ______________________________

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments