Friday 11 December 2020

TIME ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 60 TIME

 

A

Phrases with time

We got to the meeting in time [before the meeting started].

My brother is always on time [not early or late].

It’s time (for us) to go. [used to say that something should happen now]

Do you have time for a cup of coffee? [have enough time to do something]

Call me the next time you’re in London. [on the next occasion]

The weather was wonderful the last time we were there. [on the last occasion]

Sophie and I arrived at the same time, 9 o’clock exactly.

B

Time prepositions often confused

I’ll be here until 4.30. [I won’t leave before 4.30]

I’ll be there by 8.15. [not later than 8.15]

I’ve worked here for six months. (for + a period of time, e.g. a week, ten days, two years)

I’ve worked here since May. (since + a point in time in the past, e.g. last Friday, March, 2011)

I worked on a farm during the summer. (this tells you ‘when’)

I worked on a farm for a month. (this tells you ‘how long’) (NOT during a month)

I’m going back to Brazil in ten days’ time [ten days from now]. (NOT after ten days)

C

Approximate periods of time – past, present and future

Past

I’ve known Lucia for ages [for a long time, e.g. many years].

I haven’t been to the dentist recently/lately [e.g. in the last few months].

I saw Tom recently [e.g. a few weeks ago / not long ago].

I used to go skiing, but that was a long time ago [e.g. 5– 10 years ago; syn ages ago].

My sister went to the zoo the other day [e.g. a few days ago, perhaps a week].

Present

I don’t see my brother much these days [a period including the past and now; syn nowadays].

Future

This dictionary’s fine for the time being [for now / the near future – but not for a long time].

I’m sure I’ll go to America one day [in the future but I don’t know when].

D

Counting time

There are 60 seconds in a minute; 60 minutes in an hour; 24 hours in a day; 7 days in a week; 2 weeks in a fortnight; 52 weeks in a year; 10 years in a decade; 100 years in a century.

E

Take and last

We use take to say how long we need to do something.

It takes me half an hour to get to school.

We can walk, but it’ll take (us) a long time.

We use last to talk about how long something continues, from the beginning to the end.

The course lasts for ten weeks.

How long does the film last?

The battery in my camera didn’t last long [continue for a long time].

EXERCISES

60.1

Complete the sentences.

1 I’ll see you the ____next_______ time I come to London.

2 The shop closes at 5.30. If we don’t hurry, we’ll never get there _____________ time.

3 I always get to meetings _____________ time; I hate it when people are late.

4 I’m afraid I won’t _____________ time to see you this week.

5 I’ll have to go soon. It’s time _____________ me to pick up the children from school.

6 Julian and I got to the station at the _____________ time.

60.2

Choose the correct word to complete the sentences.

1 I’ll see you in / after ten days’ time.

2 The teacher told us to finish our homework by / until Monday.

3 We can’t leave by / until the others get back.

4 I’ve been in the army for / since I was eighteen.

5 They’ve worked here for / since / during six months.

6 I visit my uncle every week for / since / during the winter.

7 I was at university for / since / during three years.

8 She’s going back to France in / after three months’ time.

9 I haven’t seen them for / since last Thursday.

60.3

Replace the underlined words with more ‘approximate’ time expressions.

1 I had my hair cut two weeks ago. _______recently_____________

2 I went to Egypt with my parents but that was ten years ago. ________________________

3 I went to the library three days ago. ________________________

4 I haven’t been to the cinema for the last three weeks. ________________________

5 I haven’t been to a concert for three or four years. ________________________

6 This computer will be fine for the next year. ________________________

60.4

Test your general knowledge. Can you complete these sentences with the correct number or period of time?

1 Michael Jackson died in ______2009_______.

2 The Olympic Games usually last about a ________________.

3 Picasso was born in the ________________ th century, and died in the ________________ th century.

4 President Kennedy died in ________________. That’s over years ago.

5 It takes approximately ________________ hours to fly from London to New York.

6 The best athletes can run 100 metres in less than ________________ seconds.

7 The ________________ was the decade in which the USA and USSR were trying to be the first country to put a man on the moon.

60.5


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments