Monday 14 December 2020

VERB CONSTRUCTIONS 2 ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 88 VERB CONSTRUCTIONS 2

 

A

A great opportunity

“I’m 24 years old, and I work in a photography studio. It’s not a very exciting job but I love photography and the pay isn’t bad. But, two months ago, I was given the chance to go to Italy and work on a film by a famous director. My best friend thought that it was a fantastic opportunity and advised1 me to go. Dad wasn’t so sure. He didn’t try and persuade2 me not to go, but he warned3 me that it would be hard work, and reminded4 me that it was only three months, then I’d be out of a job. I realised5 that my girlfriend wasn’t happy about it either, but I promised6 her that I would phone every day, and suggested7 that she could come out to Italy for a holiday while I was there. I didn’t mention8 that I was part of a small team with three other women. Anyway, I’m going.”


 


B

Other verbs

Here are some more verbs which are used with the same constructions.

Verb + (that) …: say, hope, notice, recommend and expect.

I said that I was busy. (NOT I said him that I was busy.)

I hope (that) you’ll come and see us soon.

When I left, I noticed that the door was open. [could see]

I recommended that we all go together, so no one gets lost.

I expect (that) he’ll ring us later. [think or believe that something will happen]

Verb + object + (that) …: tell, show and convince.

I told them (that) they could leave early.

He tried to convince me that I needed some new clothes. [make me believe]

Verb + object + to infinitive: ask, tell, want, allow, expect, remind, help and encourage.

Tracey asked me to look after her cat.

They told us to wait outside.

They want us to stay at school.

I expected them to be here by now.

I had to remind him to buy the food. [tell somebody so that they do not forget]

She helped me to write the report. (You can also say: She helped me write the report.)

My parents encouraged me to read. [gave me support and confidence to make it possible]

EXERCISES

88.1

Correct the mistakes.

1 She encouraged me going. _______________ She encouraged me to go. ___________________

2 He told it’s impossible. __________________________________

3 I asked that Chloe stay with me. __________________________________

4 She suggested us to go to an Italian restaurant. __________________________________

5 I warned them not going. __________________________________

6 He helped me buying my suit. __________________________________

7 She allowed us go. __________________________________

8 He said me the film was terrible. __________________________________

9 She advised me buy a dictionary. __________________________________

10 I recommended to stay there. __________________________________

11 He reminded me go to the bank. __________________________________

12 I want that he leaves. __________________________________

88.2

Complete the sentences with a verb from the box in the correct form.

realise

warn

expect

remind

convince

encourage

help

persuade

mention

recommend

notice

hope

1 She couldn’t breathe easily, so I ______realised________ that something was wrong.

2 When we went in, I _________________ that people were looking at us.

3 Martin knew the area was dangerous but he didn’t _________________ me not to go there.

4 I didn’t want the job but my mother _________________ me to take it. It was a mistake.

5 I wasn’t sure about the plan, but my boss _________________ me that it would work.

6 My uncle _________________ that we try the new Chinese restaurant.

7 When I spoke to Jodie, I _________________ that we were busy tonight.

8 Our teacher has always _________________ us to practise our English outside of class.

9 Fortunately Aidan _________________ me that it was Marsha’s birthday; I’d forgotten.

10 I said I would _________________ Ian to put up the shelves.

11 They said they’d come, so I _________________ that they’ll be here soon.

12 I _________________ that I pass my exams.

88.3

Complete the sentences in a suitable way.

1 He was given some money and I recommended ________ that he put it in the bank. ________________

2 Some of them were getting hungry so I suggested _______________________.

3 She said there were strange noises outside her flat, so I advised _______________________.

4 When I saw her face, I noticed _______________________.

5 When I was young, my parents sometimes allowed _______________________.

6 As soon as I put on the coat, I realised _______________________.

7 It was only a few minutes to the beach, but I still couldn’t persuade _______________________.

8 Her train was delayed, so I expect _______________________.

9 The water can make you ill and I warned _______________________.

10 I borrowed his laptop yesterday but promised him that _______________________.

88.4


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments