Wednesday 9 December 2020

SPORT AND LEISURE ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 41 SPORT AND LEISURE

 

A

Sports



Language help

 

We play sports such as football, ice hockey, tennis, golf and basketball.

I play football in the winter. I play basketball twice a week.

We use go with other sports and activities, especially those ending in -ing.

I go swimming in the lake during summer. We often go rock climbing in the mountains.

We use do with a lot of / a bit of + -ing.

I did a bit of sailing in the holidays. I don’t do a lot of running these days.

B

Leisure activities*


 

We often go camping in the summer, and we usually do a bit of rock climbing as well.

My best friend does a lot of yoga. She works out in the gym two or three times a week as well.

My brother enjoys jogging, and it keeps him fit [helps his body to stay in good condition].

My mum does a bit of jogging as well – just for fun [because she enjoys it; syn for pleasure].

I’m afraid I don’t do any exercise at all.

* activities in your free time

EXERCISES

41.1

Put the words into the correct columns.

swimming

golfer

court

track

jump

pitch

net

motor racing

stick

basketball

athlete

box

skis

race

goalkeeper

racing driver

sail

rink

skiing

swimming

costume

 

sport

person

place

verb

equipment

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

41.2

Complete the sentences with the correct verb.

1 We _____play _____ football in the winter at my school.

2 Do you _________ much exercise?

3 I _________ basketball in the summer and winter.

4 We always _________ in the winter, as long as there is enough snow.

5 I _________ a bit of yoga when I was younger.

6 We used to _________ camping in the mountains.

7 I _________ a lot of swimming in the summer.

8 If you want to _________ fit, you need to run three or four miles every other day.

9 I used to _________ in the gym, but I’m getting a bit old for that now.

41.3

What is the sport and who is the person?


41.4

Complete the last word in each sentence.

1 Do you know the size of a boxing _____ring ______?

2 I used to play ice _____________.

3 We played golf in Scotland, where they have some fantastic golf _____________.

4 My dad plays golf. He’s not a serious golfer; he just plays for _____________.

5 If the girls go swimming, they must remember to take their swimming _____________.

6 We watch a lot of motor _____________.

7 I love swimming, and it helps to keep me _____________.

8 My sister enjoys rock _____________.

9 You can’t go camping unless you have a _____________.

10 Running is good exercise, so four or five times a week I go _____________.

41.5


ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments