Monday 7 December 2020

CITY LIFE ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 26 CITY LIFE

 

A

The rush hour*

“For me, the rush hour is the worst time of day. Everywhere is busy, and everyone seems to be in a hurry1. I usually drive to work, but sometimes I get stuck2 in traffic jams3, and when I get to work I find there’s nowhere to park4 because the car park5 is already full. But if I get the bus, it takes me longer, and that makes the journey very stressful6. When I get home in the evenings I often feel exhausted7 – more from the travelling than from my work.”


Common mistakes

 

The situation was stressful, and I was very stressed (NOT I was stressing, or it was stressing).

I couldn’t find a car park. OR I couldn’t find a parking space. (NOT I couldn’t find a parking.)

B

The nightlife*


“One of the advantages of1 living in the city is the nightlife. The town centre is always lively2 in the evening, and there is a wide variety of3 bars, clubs and restaurants to go to. If you are more interested in culture and cultural activities, you can go to the cinema, the theatre, concerts, art galleries, etc.


C

Advantages and disadvantages

“Cities always seem crowded1, and they can be dirty (opp clean) and dangerous (opp safe) places to live. Pollution2 is worse in big cities, and so is the crime rate3. I only walk home at night4 if I’m with a friend. When I’m on my own, I get a taxi.

Life in cities is also more expensive. Flats cost a lot, and I think you get better value for money5 in a smaller town or village.

On the positive side, you get6 a real mix7 of people and nationalities in a big city; that makes life more interesting. I also enjoy the fact that there’s always something going on8 in a big city, so life is never dull9.”

 


EXERCISES

26.1

Match the words on the left with the words on the right.


26.2

Write the opposite.

1 It’s safe. ________ It’s dangerous_________.

2 It was crowded. ______________________

3 It’s very clean. ______________________

4 It was very exciting. ______________________

5 There are advantages. ______________________

6 There’s a place to park. ______________________

26.3

Complete the dialogues with one word in each gap.

1 A: Is there plenty to do in the evening?

B: Yes, the ______ nightlife_______ is great.

2 A: And are there lots of ________________ activities in the town?

B: Yes. There’s a cinema, theatre, concerts, and so on.

3 A: Is it good for shopping?

B: Yes, there’s a ________________ of shops.

4 A: Are you worried about walking home late in the evening?

B: Yes, it can be dangerous at ________________.

5 A: Is the traffic bad?

B: Yes, I often get ________________ in traffic jams.

6 A: Is your flat expensive?

B: Well, it’s not cheap but I think it’s quite good ________________ for money.

26.4

Rewrite the sentences without the underlined words. Keep the meaning the same.


26.5


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments