Monday 14 December 2020

VERB CONSTRUCTIONS 1 ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 87 VERB CONSTRUCTIONS 1

 

A

Verb + -ing form

A number of verbs are commonly followed by an -ing form.

 


Common mistakes

 

I enjoy going there. (NOT I enjoy to go there.) They suggested leaving early. (NOT They suggested to leave early.) He recommended staying there. (NOT He recommended to stay there.)

B

Verb + to infinitive

I hope to see them next week. [want to see them and believe I will see them]

They agreed to help me. [said they will help]

I intend to leave next month. [plan]

I offered to help them. [said I was happy to help]

I attempted to cook the dinner, but it was terrible. [tried]

I promised to bring her book back. [said I would definitely bring it back]

The shop assistant was very rude, so I demanded to see the manager. [said in a firm way]

C

Verb + (object) + preposition + noun/-ing

A: Jo has just rung and asked me for advice about Greece. They’re thinking of1 going there.

B: Well, be careful. They went to India last year on your advice and then blamed2 you for the terrible holiday they had.

A: That was their fault. They insisted on3 going in the summer when it was far too hot.


EXERCISES

87.1

Choose the correct word(s) to complete the sentences.

1 I hope seeing / to see them.

2 They agreed helping / to help me.

3 We enjoy staying / to stay by the sea.

4 I suggested going /to go on the train.

5 She insisted in / on paying for our meal.

6 We must attempt getting / to get there on time.

7 Have you considered working / to work in a bank?

8 I demanded speaking / to speak to the doctor in charge.

9 I asked him help / him for help.

10 They blamed me for / of it.

11 I don’t mind waiting / to wait for you.

12 I try to avoid travelling / to travel in the rush hour.

87.2

Complete the sentences with the most suitable verb.

1 Have you ______ asked ______ the waiter for the bill?

2 My sister is ___________ of spending the summer in France if she can afford it.

3 I’ve had a computer for about 20 years; I can’t ___________ being without one.

4 We always try to ___________ driving into town in the rush hour.

5 The accident wasn’t my fault but they ___________ me for it.

6 We’re ___________ to see my parents later this week. We had ___________ to go last week, but Madison was ill and we couldn’t go.

7 I ___________ meeting your friends; they were really nice.

8 Have you ever ___________ moving out of a town and going to live in the country?

9 I offered to drive, but Mason ___________ on taking his car because he said he ___________ being a passenger.

10 Ella’s parents weren’t happy with the school, and they ___________ to see the head teacher.

87.3

When you learn new verbs, you may need to know the constructions that are used with them. A good dictionary will give you this information, usually with examples. Using a good English dictionary, find the constructions that commonly follow these verbs.



87.4


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments