Wednesday 9 December 2020

MAKING A CAREER ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 37 MAKING A CAREER

 

A

Getting a job*

“When I left school, I applied for1 jobs in different companies, and finally, after sending out lots of CVs2 and having some interviews3, a small company employed me4. I didn’t earn a lot, but the company gave me some training5, which was good.”


Common mistakes

 

I had some training. (NOT I had a training.) You can also go on / do a training course [a period of organised help and advice, often in a different place] (NOT formation or stage).

B

Promotion

“I worked hard and soon I was promoted [given a better job with more responsibility]. They also gave me a good pay rise [more money]. It was really good experience [knowledge you get from doing something such as a job], and when my boss left the company a few years later, they gave me an important promotion [a move to a higher job in the company].”

C

Resignation*

“By my mid-twenties, I was getting a bit bored, and decided I wanted to work abroad [in another country]. So, I quit my job [told the company I was leaving; syn resign] and started looking for jobs in the UK. After a couple of months I got a job in London. At first I liked it, but …”

* when you say officially you are leaving a job

D

Unemployment*

“After six months, I got fed up with the job – and I think I was enjoying myself too much to work very hard. Finally, the company sacked me [told me to leave the company; syn gave me the sack], and after that I was unemployed [without a job; syn out of work] for two months. Finally I got a part-time job [working only part of the day or week; opp full-time job] in the kitchen of a restaurant.”

* when people do not have a job

Common mistakes

 

Claudio didn’t have a job. (NOT He didn’t have a work.)

E

Success and retirement*

“I loved the restaurant. I learned how to cook, and two years later I became manager. Three years after that I opened my own restaurant. [belonging to me / it was my restaurant] It was very successful [it did well and made money], and twenty years later, I owned five restaurants, and I was the owner of two hotels. I believe anyone can succeed [be successful] if they work hard enough – and have a little bit of luck. Last year, aged sixty, I retired and went back to Italy.”

* the time when people stop work, often at 60 or 65

EXERCISES

37.1

Match the answers on the right with the questions on the left.

1

Why did they sack him? C

a

Because he was 65.

2

Why did they promote him?

b

Because he needed more training.

3

Why did he apply for the job?

c

Because he was late for work every day.

4

Why did he retire?

d

Because he was out of work.

5

Why did he quit his job?

e

Because he was the best person in the department.

6

Why did he go on the course?

f

Because he didn’t like his boss.

37.2

Complete the table.


37.3

Complete the sentences.

1 Lucy is hoping to _____ get _______a job in a travel agency when she leaves school.

2 I decided to work _____________ to see what life was like in another country.

3 I don’t want a full-time job. I’d prefer to work _____________.

4 She _____________ her job when her boss refused to give her a pay _____________.

5 I didn’t earn much money in the job, but it was still good _____________ because the company sent me on several training _____________.

6 After they sacked me, I was out of _____________ for six months.

7 It’s not easy to _____________ in business; you need ability and luck.

8 I think you should definitely _____________ for that job.

9 Ivan was terrible as a tour guide; that’s why they gave him the _____________.

10 I’ve worked for other people most of my life, but I’d really like to run my _____________ company.

11 I used to _____________ a company but it wasn’t a _____________; I lost a lot of money.

12 If she’s interested in that job, she’ll have to write a letter of _____________.

37.4


ANSWER KEY


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments