Saturday 12 December 2020

OPINIONS, AGREEING AND DISAGREEING ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 67 OPINIONS, AGREEING AND DISAGREEING

 

A

Asking someone for their opinion

What do you think of his new book / Tom’s girlfriend? (asking about a specific thing or person)

What do you think about global warming / cosmetic surgery? (asking about a general topic)

How do you feel about working with the others?

B

Introducing your own opinion

Personally, I think Helena was probably right.

Personally, I feel that we should increase the price.

In my opinion [I think], we need to change the direction of the company.

My view/feeling is [my opinion is] that we need to wait a bit longer.

Common mistakes

 

Personally, I don’t think it’s a good idea. (NOT I think it’s not a good idea.)

In my opinion, motorbikes are dangerous. (NOT On my opinion OR In my meaning)

In most situations, it is probably easier and more natural to use personally.

C

Giving the opinion of others

The newspaper says that his death was not an accident. (NOT It’s written in the newspaper)

According to the paper [the paper says], the government didn’t know about it.

D

Agreeing and disagreeing (with someone)

I totally agree (with you) [agree completely, 100%].

I partly agree (with you) [agree but not completely].

I agree (with you) to a certain extent [partly agree].

Common mistakes

 

I agree with you. (NOT I’m agree with you.)

Do you agree? (NOT Are you agree?)

In British English, it is common to agree with someone before giving a different opinion.

That’s true, but I think …

I see what you mean, [I understand what you are saying] but …

I agree to some extent, but

I think that’s a good point [idea or opinion], but

I take your point [I understand and partly agree with your opinion], but ...

E

Giving a strong opinion


EXERCISES

67.1

Complete the questions in different ways to ask people their opinion.

1 What do you think ______about_______ sending people to Mars?

2 ___________ these shoes? Do you like them?

3 ___________ having more responsibility?

67.2

Complete the dialogues.

1 A: Did you think he was right in what he said?

B: Not completely, but I _____partly_________agreed with him.

2 A: What did you think ________________ the film?

B: Well, ________________ I didn’t like it.

3 A: Do you agree with her?

B: Yes, to a certain ________________.

4 A: She feels very ________________ about protecting the environment.

B: Yes, I know, and I think she’s absolutely ________________.

5 A: ________________, I think all politicians tell lies.

B: Sorry, but I ________________ completely.

6 A: We can’t send everyone to university.

B: Yes, that’s ________________, but we should give everyone a chance to go.

7 A: My ________________ is that we should make all chocolate and sweets more expensive, and then people couldn’t afford to eat so many things that are bad for them.

B: That’s a good ________________, but it seems unfair on people who don’t eat too many sweet things.

8 A: I see what you ________________ about spending more money, but can we afford it?

B: Well, in my ________________ we have no choice.

67.3

Rewrite the sentences using the words in capitals. Keep a similar meaning.

1 I think you’re right. AGREE ___________ I agree with you. __________________

2 I think the club needs new players. OPINION ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_______________________________

3 I completely disagree with you. AT ALL _______________________________

4 The newspaper says the fire was started on purpose. ACCORDING _______________________________

5 I partly agree with her. EXTENT _______________________________

6 I see what you mean, but I’m not sure I agree. POINT _______________________________

67.4


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments