Saturday 12 December 2020

CONTAINERS AND QUANTITIES ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 64 CONTAINERS AND QUANTITIES

 

A

Containers and contents*


* the things inside something

Language help

 

A tin usually has something we eat inside it; a can has something we drink.

B

Quantities*

Just a drop of milk [a very small amount] and no sugar in my coffee, please.

I’ve cut three slices of beef; that should be enough for the sandwiches. (Or three pieces of beef)

I took my boss a bunch of flowers when I visited her in hospital.

I need a sheet of paper. (Or a piece/bit of paper)

Andrew bought two pairs of trousers and a pair of shoes yesterday.

I bought a couple of books. [two, perhaps three]

We saw several churches on our way here. [some but not a lot, e.g. between three and eight]

I bought half a dozen eggs at the supermarket. [six]

There are a dozen students in the class. [twelve]

Could I have a spoonful of sugar in my tea?

We’ve got plenty of time. [a lot of]

The company is now making the toys in large quantities.

* the amount or number of something


 

Language help

 

We can usually use slice when talking about pieces of bread, cakes and meat. We can use bunch to
talk about flowers, grapes, bananas and keys.

EXERCISES

64.1

How do you pronounce the underlined letters? Use the index to help you.


64.2

Complete the phrases below.


1 a ______bottle_____ of water

2 a _____________ of spaghetti

3 a _____________ of fruit

4 a _____________ of coffee

5 a _____________ of milk

6 a _____________ of water

7 a _____________ of matches

8 a _____________ of soap

9 a _____________ of apples

64.3

Correct the mistake with the container.

1 a packet of chocolate _____bar_______

2 a vase of jam ________________

3 a tube of cigarettes ________________

4 a tin of cola ________________

5 a can of milk ________________

6 a carton of toothpaste ________________

7 a jar of flowers ________________

8 a jug of biscuits ________________

64.4

Complete the sentences with one word.

1 I need two _____pairs _____ of socks inside these shoes.

2 I gave her a big ___________ of flowers from my garden.

3 I cut about six ___________ of bread and put them on a plate.

4 Could you get half a ___________ more chairs?

5 The teacher told us to take out a blank ___________ of paper.

6 I like to put a ___________ of cream in my coffee.

7 There’s no need to hurry – we’ve got ___________ of time.

8 I met a ___________ of friends – Stefan and Julia – on the way to the station.

9 She opened her bag on the table, turned it upside down, and all the ___________ fell out.

10 Tennis is quite popular in our office. I know ___________ people who play.

64.5

Cross out the wrong answer.

1 Could you get a carton of milk / juice / coffee?

2 I bought a bunch of grapes / bananas / apples.

3 There were a couple of / a pair of / several people waiting at the bus stop.

4 Would you like a slice of cake / bread / biscuit?

5 It’s nice with a spoonful of sugar / jam / crisps.

6 I bought two pairs of socks / shirts / jeans.

7 Have you got a piece / bunch / sheet of paper I could borrow?

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments