Tuesday 15 December 2020

FORMAL AND INFORMAL ENGLISH ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 95 FORMAL AND INFORMAL ENGLISH

 

A

Formal English

Formal English is more common in writing, but you will also hear examples in more formal spoken English, e.g. announcements, speeches, television news, or discussions.

NOTICE IN A CAFE: Only food

purchased [bought] here may be eaten

on the premises [here].

POLICE STATEMENT: The man is being

questioned regarding [about] the

robbery last night.

 


B

Informal English

Informal language is more common in spoken English, and also in most emails or letters to friends. The words and phrases in bold in these dialogues are all informal.

A: Who’s Callum?

B: A mate [a friend] of mine.

A: Really?

B: Yeah, I see him quite a bit [often]; he’s a nice bloke [man].

A: I bet [I’m sure] you’re hungry.

B: Yes, I’m dying for something to eat. [want to eat something very much]

A: Well, I think you’ll find some stuff in the fridge.

A: Toby, I’m afraid I can’t make it [come] this evening.

B: Oh, that’s a shame.

A: Yeah, I’m sorry, but the thing is [the problem is], Ella’s not well, so I’ll have to look after the kids [children].

B: OK, don’t worry. There will still be twelve or so [about twelve] at the meeting, and I’ll ring you later and let you know what happens.

A: Cheers [thanks]. That would be great.

A: What are you up to this evening? [What are you doing?]

B: Nothing much. Why?

A: Well, would you like to see the new Coen Brothers film? I’ve heard it’s great [very good; syn terrific].

B: Really? My brother saw it and said it was a load of rubbish [terrible].

 

Language help

 

We often use the uncountable noun stuff, especially in spoken English, to refer to an uncountable noun or a group of things. We do this when others know what we are talking about, or if we don’t need to be exact. Put this stuff in the cupboard. [e.g. plates, food, toys] We carried our camping stuff [equipment]. What’s this stuff in the fridge in the blue bottle? [liquid]

EXERCISES

95.1

Put the words into the correct column on the right.


95.2

Now write a synonym for each of the words in 95.1.


95.3

Replace the underlined words and phrases with more informal words or phrases.

1 I’m sure your parents are pleased? I bet __________________

2 I’d love to come, but the problem is, my mother wants us to go and see her. __________________

3 I watched that new series on TV last night. It was absolutely terrible. __________________

4 What are you doing this weekend? __________________

5 I really want something to drink. __________________

6 None of them can come on Monday. __________________

7 Jamie is a friend of mine. __________________

8 We go there often. __________________

9 You can leave all those books, files and papers on the desk. __________________

10 We should be able to get approximately 40 on the coach. __________________

95.4

Rewrite the underlined parts of this letter in more suitable formal English.

1. _______________regarding_______________________

2. ______________________________________

3. ______________________________________

4. ______________________________________


95.5

Dictionaries will tell you if a word is formal or informal/spoken. Use your dictionary to find out if the underlined words here are formal or informal/spoken. What do they mean?

1 I thought the film was a drag.

2 Smoking isn’t permitted.

3 It’s a scary film.

4 This watch cost fifty quid.

ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments