Sunday 13 December 2020

PREPOSITIONAL PHRASES ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 78 PREPOSITIONAL PHRASES

 

A

By, on or in + noun

I took his pen by mistake [I thought it was my pen].

These shoes are made by hand [not using a machine].

I met them by chance [it wasn’t planned; it was luck].

 


 

My boss is on the phone at the moment. [using the phone]

The workers are on strike [they refuse to work because of a problem over pay, hours, etc.].

The books were on display in the window. [in the window for people to look at]

Part of the building was on fire [burning].

Most of the passengers are now on board [on the train, boat, plane, etc.].

Why are they always in a hurry [needing to do something or go somewhere very quickly]?

I explained everything in detail [including all the important information].

She won’t make that mistake again in future.

The poor little girl was in tears [crying].

B

Phrases easily confused

Sometimes two prepositions can be used with the same noun, but the meaning is different.

Lessons begin at 8.30 and the students are usually here on time [at 8.30].

If we hurry, we’ll be there in time [before the time we need to be there].

We were tired of waiting, so in the end we went home. [finally, after a lot of time or thought]

At the end of the book they get married. [in the last part]

To be successful in business it’s important to get on well with people. [working as businesspeople]

They’re both in Germany on business [they are there for work, not a holiday].

I’m afraid this book’s a bit out-of-date [old and not useful, or not correct in its information].

I try to keep up-to-date with all the changes. [knowing all the most recent ideas and information]

I’ll see you in a moment [not now, but very soon; syn in a minute].

I can’t speak to you at the moment [now; syn right now].

EXERCISES

78.1

Put the nouns into the correct columns.

board

hand

accident

display

detail

fire

future

mistake

tears

strike

on

in

by

 

 

 

 

 

 

78.2

Choose the correct word to complete the sentences.

1 I’m afraid I deleted your email on / in / by accident.

2 Did she hit him on / by / in purpose?

3 I just saw them with / by / on chance.

4 Most of these files are out-of- / out-from- / out-for- date.

5 My wife is away in / on / by business at the moment.

6 I’m afraid I’m busy on / in / at the moment.

7 I’ve got to go; I’m in / on / at a hurry.

8 I won’t go there again on / in / at future.

78.3

Complete the missing noun in these prepositional phrases.

1 I saw smoke coming out of the window, and I realised the house was on _____fire ______.

2 Nobody is at the factory. The workers are all on ___________________.

3 These chocolates are expensive because they are all made by ___________________.

4 I’m just going to the shop but I’ll be back in a ___________________.

5 I’m sure she broke that vase on ___________________; she never liked it.

6 I’m sorry I can’t stop to talk now – I’m in a ___________________.

7 She never thanked me for the present, so I won’t buy her another one in ___________________.

8 You can’t trust things you read on the Internet; a lot of the information there is out-of- ___________________.

9 I told them everything they wanted to know. I explained it all in ___________________.

10 I went to the exhibition, and some of Katya’s paintings were on ___________________.

11 The manager can’t speak to you at the ___________________; I’m afraid she’s on the ___________________.

12 It was a terrible journey but we got there in the ___________________.

78.4

Replace the underlined word(s) with a prepositional phrase.

 

1 The meeting was planned for 11 am and we got there at 11 am. _____ on time _________

2 Did you get to the cinema before the film started? ____________________

3 Most of the factory is burning. ____________________

4 I had great difficulty finding the camera I wanted, so finally I bought one on the Internet. ____________________

5 He gets killed in the last scene of the film. ____________________

6 I’m afraid I’m very busy right now. ____________________

7 I saw her yesterday but we didn’t plan to meet. ____________________

8 I’m writing an email, but I’ll be with you very soon. ____________________

9 Most of these books are old and the information is wrong. ____________________

10 I explained the system with all the important information. ____________________

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments