Monday 14 December 2020

UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 86 UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS

 

A

Common uncountable nouns

One of the problems with uncountable nouns is that many of them are countable in other languages.

Common mistakes

 

I need information. (NOT I need an information.) (no indefinite article)

I need some information. (NOT I need informations.) (no plural form)

The homework was difficult. (NOT The homework were difficult.) (use with a singular verb)

• You can put all that rubbish in the bin over there. [things that you throw away because you do not want them]

• Is there any more news about the man who was injured?

• She gave me some good advice about buying a car. [what you think someone should do]

• Do the children get pocket money [money that parents give regularly to their children]?

• You need a lot of equipment for camping, e.g. tent, sleeping bag, torch, things for cooking, etc. [the things that are used for a particular activity]

• We sold the furniture [tables, chairs, armchairs, etc.].

• The scenery is really beautiful. [the natural beauty you see around you]

• My knowledge of Russian is limited. [what I know about it]

• She’s worked very hard and I believe she is making progress [improving / getting better].

• Can you take the dog? We haven’t got any room in our car. [empty space]

• Would anyone like some more toast?

• The children’s behaviour was terrible: they were climbing all over the furniture and making a lot of noise. [the way you do and say things]

 


B

Uncountable nouns in dictionaries

Dictionaries show countable nouns with a (C) and uncountable nouns with a (U). Some nouns can be countable with one meaning, and uncountable with another.

experience (U) [the knowledge you get from doing a particular job or activity]

She’s got a lot of experience of working with children.

experience (C) [something that happens to you that affects the way you feel]

I had so many fantastic experiences on my trip to Thailand and Japan.

chance (U) [luck]

Lotto is a game of chance.

chance (C) [the opportunity to do something]

He’s had several chances to go abroad, but he’s just not interested.

C

Making uncountable nouns countable

You can make some uncountable nouns singular. Sometimes we do this with a word like piece (for advice, equipment, toast, furniture, news), but in spoken English we often use a bit (infml) with most uncountable nouns.

a good piece of advice                    an interesting bit of news

another piece of toast                    just a bit of rubbish

 

EXERCISES

86.1

Correct the mistakes.

1 I need some informations. ___________ information _______________

2 Our teacher has a news about the trip. ________________________

3 She gave me some good advices. ________________________

4 Her progress are very good. ________________________

5 We had a lot of homeworks yesterday. ________________________

6 The furnitures were very old. ________________________

7 I have no experiences of using these equipments. ________________________

8 I need to improve my knowledges of this new technology. ________________________

86.2

Make the uncountable nouns countable.

1 I did some homework. I did _________a bit of homework.________________

2 It’s useful equipment. It’s ______________________________________________.

3 It was good advice. It was ______________________________________________.

4 Do you want some more toast? Do you want ______________________________________________.

5 She’s making progress. She’s making ______________________________________________.

6 There’s some rubbish on the floor. There’s ______________________________________________.

7 I gave them some pocket money. I gave them ______________________________________________.

8 I heard some news this morning. I heard ______________________________________________.

86.3

Complete the dialogues.

1 A: Have you been given all the details?

B: No, I need more ________ information ________________.

2 A: She hasn’t worked there long enough.

B: No, she needs more __________________.

3 A: Is your flat big enough?

B: No, we need more __________________.

4 A: Does she know what to do when she leaves school?

B: No, she needs some __________________.

5 A: Don’t you think the room looks empty?

B: Yes, we need more __________________.

6 A: Is his English getting better?

B: No, he isn’t making any __________________.

86.4

Complete the sentences. The first letter has been given to help you.

1 I asked my teacher for some a____dvice______ about grammar books.

2 I’ve had some great e___________________ when I’ve travelled on my own.

3 If we give him another c___________________, I’m sure he’ll be able to do it.

4 That stuff over there is r___________________; just throw it in the bin.

5 We camped on the hill above the lake because the s___________________ is so beautiful.

6 I don’t know what’s wrong with Celia, but her b___________________ was very strange this morning.

7 Do you have any e___________________ of working with computers?

8 I don’t have any k___________________ of this subject; you’d better ask Fariah.

86.5

Use a dictionary to find out if these nouns are countable or uncountable. Keep a record of them in your notebook.

transport

luggage

suitcase

pasta

traffic

accident

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments