Tuesday 15 December 2020

TIME AND SEQUENCE ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 92 TIME AND SEQUENCE

 

A

When / As soon as

The meaning of these two time expressions is almost the same, but as soon as suggests something more immediate or important.

I’ll phone my uncle when / as soon as I get home.

As soon as / When you’ve finished this exercise, you can go home.

Common mistakes

 

I’ll see you when I get there. (NOT I’ll see you when I will get there.)

We don’t use a future form after when / as soon as.

B

Two things happening at the same time

Violet got ready while I cooked the dinner. [two long actions]

The accident happened while I was on my way to work. [a longer action ‘on my way to work’ and a short action ‘the accident’; we can also use when or as here.]

I saw him (just) as I came out of the office. [two short actions happening at the same time; we can also use when here]

C

One thing after another

We met the others in the café, and then / after that / afterwards we went to the match.

I talked to Joe, and afterwards [at a later time but usually the same day] I came home.

I was in Caracas for three months, and then / after that I went to Colombia.

After my visit to New York, I decided to have a rest.

We had something to eat before going out.

Common mistakes

 

After seeing the film, we went home. (NOT After see the film, we went home.)

D

A sequence* of actions

We had a really nice holiday. First of all / First we spent a few days in St Moritz. After that / Then we drove down the coast and stayed in Portofino for a week. Finally, we went back to Switzerland to stay with my uncle. (Finally is used here to introduce the last thing in a list.)

* one action after another, and so on

E

At first … eventually

To begin with, the two girls got on very well when they shared the flat. But after a while [a period of time], they started arguing about various things, and eventually [finally, after a long time or a lot of problems] Lauren walked out and found a new place.

At first I enjoyed the classes, but after a while it got a bit boring, and in the end [finally, after a period of time or thought] I left.

F

A list of reasons

We can use firstly / for one thing / for a start to introduce a first reason for something, and then secondly/besides/anyway to add a further reason.

A: What’s wrong with her new dress?

B: Firstly, it’s a horrible colour, and secondly, I don’t think it suits her.

A: Why can’t we go out tonight?

B: Well, for one thing / for a start, I’ve got a lot of work – and besides/anyway, I can’t afford it.

EXERCISES

92.1

Find five more pairs of words/phrases that are similar in meaning.


92.2

Choose the correct word to complete the sentences. Sometimes both are correct.

1 I rang my mum when / while I was waiting for my train.

2 I’ll give them your message as soon as I get / will get there.

3 Maria cleaned the kitchen as / while I did the bathroom.

4 Before leave / leaving they went to an exhibition in a little gallery.

5 We can have lunch when / as soon as we’ve finished this.

6 The phone rang while / just as I was shutting the front door.

7 We spent the morning in the park and after that / afterwards we went home for lunch.

8 The letter arrived while / just as we were having lunch.

9 I met the others when / as I was on my way to the station.

10 After to clean / cleaning my room, I was exhausted.

92.3

Complete the dialogues.

1 A: Why do you want to stay in this evening, when we could go to Karl’s party?

B: Well, ____ for one thing _______, I’d like to watch a programme on TV, and , I don’t think it’ll be a very good party.

2 A: What did you do in Portugal?

B: Well, _______________ we flew to Lisbon and spent a few days there. _______________ we took the train down to Lagos and spent a week on the Algarve with a couple we met in London. And _______________ we went to Faro and flew back from there.

3 A: Did Matt enjoy his time in India?

B: Well, _______________ I think he found it difficult because the food and weather are so different. But after a _______________ he got used to it, and didn’t want to come home.

4 A: Why can’t the company pay for me to go to the conference?

B: Well, _______________ the boss doesn’t seem to think it’s very important, and _______________ we’re too busy at the moment to give anyone time off work.

5 A: Did the new company do well?

B: Yeah, _______________ it did very well. But then the manager left, and after a _______________ they started losing money. _______________, they had to close down.

92.4

Complete the sentences in a suitable way.

 

1 We had a game of table tennis and afterwards ______we went for a drink. ______________

2 I’ll give you the answers to this exercise when ________________________________

3 I’ll text you as soon as ________________________________

4 I must remember to lock the back door before ________________________________

5 He thinks he dropped the letter as ________________________________

6 I worked with a partner in class. I looked up half of the words while ________________________

7 We were in a traffic jam for hours but eventually ________________________________

8 If we phone his home, he probably won’t be there. Anyway, ________________________________

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments