Saturday 12 December 2020

FIXED PHRASES IN CONVERSATION ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 76 FIXED PHRASES IN CONVERSATION

 

A

Common responses

A large number of fixed phrases are used as common responses in everyday conversation.

A: What time did he get here? B: I’ve no idea. [I don’t know]

A: Are you going tonight? B: That depends. [used to say you are not sure because other things affect your answer; also It depends]

A: Shall we go out tonight? B: Yeah, why not [OK]?

A: Did you like the film? B: Not really. [used to say no but not strongly]

A: I’m going to Sweden next week. B: Really. What for? [why?]

A: Can I borrow your car? B: No way. [that’s impossible; infml; syn no chance]

A: They’re coming tonight, aren’t they? B: I suppose so. [used to say yes but not strongly]

A: Jason has grown a beard. B: I know. I couldn’t believe my eyes! [I was very

surprised when I saw it]

A: We have to work tonight. B: You must be joking.

A: Eli got top marks. B: I don’t believe it! [used to express great surprise]

 

Language help

 

We can use you must be joking (syns you’re joking/kidding) when someone has just said something that is a surprise. It may be an unpleasant surprise (as above), or a nice surprise, e.g.

A: My father said he would pay for all of us to go on holiday.

B: You’re kidding. Fantastic!

B

In conversation

Notice how fixed phrases can form an important part of an everyday conversation.

 

A: I had to have a word with Vince and Milan today. [speak to them without others listening]

B: Oh yeah? Are they causing trouble again?

A: Well, you know, [used to fill a pause in conversation] they just keep talking to each other, and they don’t pay attention [listen] – that sort of thing.

B: Why don’t you make them sit in different places?

A: I tried that, but they still talked to each other.

B: Well, in that case [because of the situation described], you’ll have to move one of them.

A: Maybe, but I’d feel bad about that [be unhappy about]. They’re quite nice boys, you know, they just can’t help it [can’t control some actions or behaviour].

B: Sure … but you can’t let that kind of thing continue.

A: No, you’re right. But I’ve given them a final warning today, so let’s wait and see what happens. [wait to discover what will happen]

B: OK. But what if they don’t improve? [what will you do if they don’t improve?]

A: I think it’ll be OK.

B: Well, if you change your mind [change your decision], come and see me again, and I’ll arrange for one of them to be moved to another class.

 

Language help

 

We use sort/kind in several common phrases in informal speech. (and) that sort/kind of thing [examples of that type] e.g. I grow onions and carrots – that sort/kind of thing. sort/kind of [approximately/more or less] e.g. Her new top is sort of blue; I thought he was kind of strange.

 

EXERCISES

76.1

Put the responses in the most suitable column below.

no way

not really

I suppose so

why not

you’re kidding

that depends

I don’t believe it

 

positive

negative

not sure or either

 

no way

 

 

 

 

 

 

76.2

Choose the correct word. Sometimes both are correct.

1 I need to have a word / speak with Catalina.

2 I don’t know what they plan to do; we’ll have to wait and see / watch.

3 He usually wears jeans, trainers, and that sort / kind of thing.

4 Little children shout and scream all the time; they can’t help / leave it.

5 A: I went to Cambridge last week. B: Really? What / Why for?

6 The trouble with Mark is that he doesn’t pay / give attention.

7 A: Are you working tonight? B: It / That depends.

76.3

Complete the dialogues with a suitable fixed phrase.

1 A: Did you hear that Daniel’s getting married?

B: Yeah. __________I don’t believe it!_______________

2 A: Sofia doesn’t listen.

B: No. She never ___________________.

3 A: Did you speak to Nathalie?

B: Yes, I ___________________.

4 A: Dad wasn’t happy about forgetting my birthday.

B: No, he felt ___________________.

5 A: Do you know what time he’ll be here?

B: No, I’m afraid I’ve ___________________.

6 A: Are you still planning to sell the flat?

B: No, I’ve ___________________. I’m going to keep it now.

76.4

Where could you add the phrases in the box to the dialogues below?

you know

I couldn’t believe my eyes

kind of

in that case

you must be joking

that sort of thing

why not

 

 

1 A: What did you say to him?

B: Well, it was quite difficult. ______you know_____________

2 A: What colour was it?

B: Blue.

3 A: He’s not coming this evening, so you won’t be able to ask him.

B: Well, I’ll phone him and ask him.

4 A: Jerry says we’ll have to walk all the way to the campsite.

B: That’s ten miles!

5 A: Do you want to get a takeaway?

B: Yeah.

6 A: What do they sell?

B: Oh, burgers, pizzas, …

7 A: Did you see Chloe wearing those high-heeled shoes?

B: Yes.

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments