Monday 14 December 2020

GET: USES, PHRASES AND PHRASAL VERBS ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 83 GET: USES, PHRASES AND PHRASAL VERBS

 

A

Uses

Get is an informal word and is very common in spoken English. It can have many different meanings.

 


B

Phrases

You can get in touch with me via email. [make contact by email, phone or letter]

A bedtime story helps children get to sleep [start sleeping].

The salsa classes are a chance for us to get together [meet and spend time together].

I’m sorry I got the number wrong [said or wrote something that was not correct].

My cold is getting worse [becoming more unpleasant; opp getting better].

I’d like to get rid of my old CDs. [throw them away, give them away, or sell them]

I got to know lots of Americans when I stayed in San Francisco. [met and became friends with]

C

Phrasal verbs

He stopped the car and I got out [left the car; also leave a building].

I gave her £25, but I’ll get it back tomorrow. [have it returned to me]

The door was locked so we couldn’t get in [enter a place, especially when it is difficult].

Our train should get in around midnight. [arrive]

What time did you get up this morning? [get out of bed]

EXERCISES

83.1

Write a synonym for get in each of these sentences.

1 I usually get about five emails a day. _____ receive_____

2 Where can I get something to eat round here? __________________

3 I’m just going to get some paper from the office. I’ll be back in a minute. __________________

4 What time did they get here last night? __________________

5 He got very angry when I told him what you did with his CDs. __________________

6 I couldn’t get a room; all the hotels were full. __________________

7 The phone’s ringing. Could you get it for me? __________________

8 Molly sent me a card but I never got it. __________________

83.2

Complete the dialogues using getting + a suitable adjective. Add other words if necessary.

1 A: It’s _____ getting cold in here _________________.

B: Yes, it is. I’ll turn on the heating.

2 A: I’m ______________________.

B: Me too. Let’s have something to eat.

3 A: I’m ______________________.

B: Yes, me too. I’ll open the window.

4 A: It’s ______________________.

B: Yes, it is. I’ll put the lights on.

5 A: It’s ______________________.

B: Yes, it is. I think I’ll go to bed.

6 A: My English is ______________________.

B: No, it isn’t – it’s much better now.

83.3

Rewrite the sentences using a phrase or phrasal verb with get. Keep a similar meaning.

1 Will the books be returned to you?

Will you __________ get the books back?____________________.

2 We must meet up and have a meal.

We must __________________________________________________________.

3 How do you meet people and make friends in this country?

How do you __________________________________________________________.

4 I must contact the travel company.

I must __________________________________________________________.

5 I’d like to throw away these old magazines.

I’d like to __________________________________________________________.

6 The train won’t arrive before 10 o’clock.

The train won’t __________________________________________________________.

7 The doors were locked; we couldn’t leave.

The doors were locked; we couldn’t __________________________________________________________.

8 I was awake for hours last night.

I couldn’t __________________________________________________________.

83.4

Continue these statements in a suitable way.

1 The window is broken. _______We need to get it repaired. _____________

2 My hair is getting long. I _____________________________________________.

3 This essay is taking me hours. I _____________________________________________.

4 My watch isn’t working. I _____________________________________________.

5 Lola has still got my CDs. I _____________________________________________.

83.5

Write down examples of get that you see or hear, and try to group your sentences according to the different meanings. This will help you to understand how this important word is used in English.

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments