Wednesday 9 December 2020

WORKING IN AN OFFICE ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 38 WORKING IN AN OFFICE

 

A

Office equipment


B

Office work

Josh works for a company which produces1 furniture. He doesn’t work in the factory where the furniture is produced, but in the offices across the road.

His job involves2 quite a lot of paperwork3. He types4 letters to different companies, sends out invoices5 to customers and sends emails.

He also has to arrange6 visits to other companies, make appointments7 for his boss, and sometimes he shows visitors round the factory. Occasionally he has to attend8 meetings with his boss, but one of Josh’s most important tasks is to organise9 the office party every year.


C

Office problems

Josh is having a bad day today. The photocopier has broken down1, the computer isn’t working and the printer has run out of2 paper. On top of that, two of his colleagues3 are absent4, just when there is loads of5 work to do.

 


EXERCISES

38.1

Finish the noun in each sentence.

1 I’ve just got myself a new key _____board _______.

2 I threw all that stuff in the rubbish _________________.

3 He put most of the stuff in the filing _________________.

4 It’s a very boring job and I spend most of my time doing general paper _________________.

5 I told him to put the details on the notice _________________.

38.2

Which words are being defined?

1 The place where you throw away paper you don’t want. ______bin________________

2 People you work with. _________________________

3 Something you put on a wall which tells you the date. _________________________

4 A book where you write down appointments and things you have to do. _________________________

5 A piece of paper which shows a customer what they have bought and what they must pay. _________________________

6 An electronic device that helps you to add up numbers and do maths. _________________________

7 An informal word meaning ‘lots’. _________________________

38.3

Complete the dialogues.

1 A: What does the company do?

B: It _______produces __________ electronic equipment.

2 A: I’ve ___________________ to see the bank manager on Friday, but I think I’m going to be away.

B: OK. Do you want me to make another ___________________ for you?

A: Yes, please. That would be great. Next Thursday or Friday, if possible.

3 A: Why can’t we use the printer?

B: It’s ___________________ of ink.

4 A: Do you have to ___________________ meetings?

B: Yes, sometimes, if my boss is away and he can’t go.

5 A: We’ve got some visitors coming tomorrow.

B: Right. Would you like me to ___________________ them ___________________ the factory?

6 A: What does your work ___________________?

B: Basically, I have to ___________________ people’s travel arrangements and hotel accommodation.

38.4

Rewrite the sentences using the words in capitals. Keep a similar meaning.

1 My boss isn’t here today. OFF           My boss is _____off today_____________.

2 The photocopier is broken. WORK           The photocopier ________________________.

3 We’re very busy today. LOADS              We ________________________.

4 I have to go to a meeting. ATTEND               I have to________________________.

5 We don’t have any more paper. RUN OUT          We ________________________.

6 Why isn’t he here this morning? ABSENT              Why ________________________.

38.5


ANSWER KEY



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments