Tuesday 8 December 2020

ON THE ROAD ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 29 ON THE ROAD

 

A

Roads


B

Finding your way

“Yesterday, I got lost1 on my way to2 the airport. I decided to use side roads and go via3 the village of Pensford, but I took the wrong turning4 just before I got there, and I ended up5 in a supermarket car park. Fortunately I was able to ask someone the way6, and a very kind woman directed7 me to the A38, where I could then follow signs for the airport.


C

An accident

“I saw an accident this morning on the main road1 into town. A pedestrian2 – a young boy – stepped off the pavement3 and into the road just as a car was approaching4. The driver braked5, but the car swerved6 and crashed into a parked car7 on the opposite side of the road. Fortunately the driver wasn’t injured but both cars were quite badly damaged.”


 


Language help

 

You damage a thing [harm or break it] but injure a person [hurt them]. The related nouns are damage and injury, e.g. There was a lot of damage to the bike, but the cyclist only had minor injuries.

 

EXERCISES

29.1

Which words are being defined?

1 part of a road that is separated from other parts by a line _____ lane_______

2 people who are walking _____________________

3 the place where people usually walk _____________________

4 the place where people can cross the road _____________________

5 the place where two roads meet _____________________

6 the thing you put your foot on to stop a car _____________________

7 a message or symbol beside the road that gives information _____________________

29.2

Complete the information for these road signs.


29.3

Rewrite the sentences on the left starting with the words given. Keep a similar meaning.


29.4

Complete the text.

I was on the 1_____ main _____ road into town today and I saw an 2______________. I was 3______________ a roundabout when the guy behind tried to 4______________ me and the driver in front of me. He was driving too fast – over the 5______________ limit – and he lost control of the car. He had to 6______________ to avoid a car on the other side of the road, and in the end he 7______________ into a tree. The car was badly 8______________ , but to my surprise, the man got out of the car with no 9______________ at all.

29.5


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments