Tuesday 19 January 2021

TELEPHONING 2: GETTING THROUGH BUSINESS VOCABULARY IN USE

 

BUSINESS VOCABULARY IN USE

49. TELEPHONING 2: GETTING THROUGH

 

A

Phoning scenario

You want to phone someone in a company. You pick up the phone. You hear the dialling tone and dial the number on the keypad. You don’t know the person’s direct line number, so you dial the number of the company’s switchboard. One of these things happens:

a. The number rings but no one answers.

b. You hear the engaged tone (BrE)/ busy tone (AmE) because the other person is already talking on the phone. You hang up and try again later.

c. You get through, but not to the number you wanted. The person who answers says you’ve got the wrong number.


B

Asking to speak to someone


C

Voicemail

If the person you want to speak to is not there, you may hear this:

You’re through to the voicemail of James Cassidy. I’m not at my desk right now, but if you leave a message, I’ll get right back to you. To leave a message, press 1. To speak to the operator, please hold.


EXERCISES

49.1

You are trying to phone Delia Jones. She works in a large company. Match your possible reactions (1-7) to the things (a-f) described in A opposite. One of the things is used twice.

1. That’s strange. Their switchboard isn’t big enough to handle all the calls they get.

2. That’s ridiculous! A company with 500 employees, but no one answers the phone.

3. I ask for Delia Jones and they put me through to Della Jones!


49.2

Look at B opposite. Annelise Schmidt is trying to phone James Cassidy. Put the conversation into a logical order.

1. Annelise: Good morning. Can I speak to James Cassidy in Sales?

2. Annelise: Is that James Cassidy?

3. Annelise: No, I’m afraid I don’t.


49.3

Look at Unit 48 and the opposite page. Correct the nine mistakes in Annelise Schmidt’s voicemail message.

Hi James, this is Annelise calling out of Sprenger Verlag in Hamburg. It’s very difficult to get hold to you. I phoned to you earlier, but your telephone central placed me through to


 


ANSWER KEY



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments